Pakistan condemns acquittal of India ruling party leaders over Babri Mosque demolition

A view of the Babri Mosque in Ayodhya in Uttar Pradesh state of India on Oct. 29, 1990, two years before it was demolished by rioters. (AP/File)
Short Url
Updated 30 September 2020
Follow

Pakistan condemns acquittal of India ruling party leaders over Babri Mosque demolition

  • Court cleared 32 men of inciting riots that led to destruction of the 16th-century site by Hindu mobs in 1992
  • Foreign Office calls on the international community to safeguard Indian Islamic heritage sites from India’s own regime

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan on Wednesday condemned an Indian court’s decision to acquit over a lack of evidence a number of politicians and Hindu religious leaders accused of conspiring to demolish the 16th-century Babri Mosque in the eastern Indian city of Ayodhya.
India’s ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) in the late 1980s and 1990s led a campaign to build a Hindu temple at the disputed site of the mosque, claiming that it was built by the first Mughal ruler, Babar, who demolished a temple raised in the birthplace of Ram, a major deity of Hinduism.




In this Dec. 7, 1992 photograph, rioters shout and wave banners as they stand on the top of a stone wall and celebrate the Dec. 6 destruction of the 16th century Babri Mosque in Ayodhya. (AFP/File)

On Dec. 6, 1992, responding to the BJP leaders’ call, hundreds of rioters gathered at the site to tear down the mosque, sparking nationwide communal violence that left more than 2,000 people dead.
“Pakistan strongly condemns today’s shameful acquittal of the criminals responsible for demolishing the centuries-old Babri Masjid in Ayodhya in 1992,” the Foreign Office said in a statement.
“The demolition of the mosque had resulted in BJP-led communal violence leading to thousands of killings. If there was a semblance of justice in the so-called largest ‘democracy,’ the individuals, who had boasted of the criminal act publicly, could not have been set free,” the statement read.
The Foreign Office called on the Indian government to “ensure safety, security and protection of minorities, particularly Muslims and their places of worship and other Islamic sites on which the Hindu extremists and zealots have laid claims.”
It said the international community and the United Nations “are expected to play their role” in safeguarding Islamic heritage sites from India’s own regime.


Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

  • Chief Minister Shah cites constitutional safeguards against altering provincial boundaries
  • Calls to separate Karachi intensified amid governance concerns after a mall fire last month

ISLAMABAD: The provincial assembly of Pakistan’s southern Sindh province on Saturday passed a resolution rejecting any move to separate Karachi, declaring its territorial integrity “non-negotiable” amid political calls to carve the city out as a separate administrative unit.

The resolution comes after fresh demands by the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) and other voices to grant Karachi provincial or federal status following governance challenges highlighted by the deadly Gul Plaza fire earlier this year that killed 80 people.

Karachi, Pakistan’s largest and most densely populated city, is the country’s main commercial hub and contributes a significant share to the national economy.

Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah tabled the resolution in the assembly, condemning what he described as “divisive statements” about breaking up Sindh or detaching Karachi.

“The province that played a foundational role in the creation of Pakistan cannot allow the fragmentation of its own historic homeland,” Shah told lawmakers, adding that any attempt to divide Sindh or separate Karachi was contrary to the constitution and democratic norms.

Citing Article 239 of Pakistan’s 1973 Constitution, which requires the consent of not less than two-thirds of a provincial assembly to alter provincial boundaries, Shah said any such move could not proceed without the assembly’s approval.

“If any such move is attempted, it is this Assembly — by a two-thirds majority — that will decide,” he said.

The resolution reaffirmed that Karachi would “forever remain” an integral part of Sindh and directed the provincial government to forward the motion to the president, prime minister and parliamentary leadership for record.

Shah said the resolution was not aimed at anyone but referred to the shifting stance of MQM in the debate while warning that opposing the resolution would amount to supporting the division of Sindh.

The party has been a major political force in Karachi with a significant vote bank in the city and has frequently criticized Shah’s provincial administration over its governance of Pakistan’s largest metropolis.

Taha Ahmed Khan, a senior MQM leader, acknowledged that his party had “presented its demand openly on television channels with clear and logical arguments” to separate Karachi from Sindh.

“It is a purely constitutional debate,” he told Arab News by phone. “We are aware that the Pakistan Peoples Party, which rules the province, holds a two-thirds majority and that a new province cannot be created at this stage. But that does not mean new provinces can never be formed.”

Calls to alter Karachi’s status have periodically surfaced amid longstanding complaints over governance, infrastructure and administrative control in the megacity, though no formal proposal to redraw provincial boundaries has been introduced at the federal level.