Zidane: ‘I never had a problem with Bale’

Zinedine Zidane
Short Url
Updated 20 September 2020
Follow

Zidane: ‘I never had a problem with Bale’

  • I’m not going to pit us against each other. I’ve not had any problems with Gareth, I know what he has done for this club, Zinedine Zidane, Manager of Real Madrid

MADRID: Gareth Bale completed his return to Tottenham Hotspur on a season-long loan deal from Real Madrid, Spurs announced on Saturday.

However, the Wales attacker will not be fit to make his second debut for the club until late October due to an injury.

Zinedine Zidane earlier confirmed that Bale is in London to secure a return to Tottenham.

“I haven’t spoken to him,” Zidane told a press conference, ahead of Real Madrid’s first La Liga game against Real Sociedad on Sunday.

“What he’s done here cannot be disputed. He has won many things here and he has shown his qualities. Now let’s see what will happen.”

“There are negotiations,” Zidane continued.

“He’s there in London. I’m not going to pit us against each other. I’ve not had any problems with Gareth, I know what he has done for this club.

“I can’t say more. We’ve not had any problems and what he’s done here, no one can argue with. If he moves, I wish him the best.”

Zidane may have been keen to be cautious after he said last year it would be “best for everyone” if Bale left when a move to China seemed certain, only for the deal to collapse at the last minute.

Zidane added: “Gareth is our player at the moment and the issue is still to be closed.”

Bale has scored 105 goals and made 68 assists in 251 games for Real Madrid.

“Our club wishes good luck to a player who has been part of one of the most successful stages of our history,” Madrid said in a statement.

At Tottenham, Bale is still remembered as one of the club’s all-time greats.

The 31-year-old has won four Champions League titles and two in La Liga, as well as scoring arguably the greatest ever goal in a Champions League final against Liverpool in 2018.

“We know what the player has done in his seven years here,” said Zidane.

“Now it’s about what the player wants to do as well and I can’t get into that.

“Are there things that happen in a team? I’m not going to say the opposite of what I’ve always said. The player has been spectacular.”

Madrid begin the defense of their La Liga title this weekend against Real Sociedad, after being given extra time off following their involvement in last season’s Champions League.

The club have made no signings this summer due to the financial fallout from the coronavirus pandemic, while Eden Hazard is again struggling for fitness.

Asked if Hazard had now recovered from the ankle injury that plagued him last term, Zidane said: “I don’t know, I can’t tell you exactly.

“He is better and the most important thing is him, his feeling, that he is 100 percent. We have time, we are starting the season. What he needs is to be 100 or 120 percent.”

Zidane also confirmed fullback Sergio Reguilon, who spent a successful season on loan at Sevilla last year, is joining Tottenham.

“I congratulate Reguilon for the season he had,” said Zidane.

“We have two players in each position, nothing more. I have two fullbacks already and I can’t have three, or four, or five, because then it’s a mess.

“We wish him the best because he had a good season with Sevilla and he deserves to be there playing with Tottenham.”


Ton-up Farhan helps Pakistan seal Super Eight spot with Namibia rout

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Ton-up Farhan helps Pakistan seal Super Eight spot with Namibia rout

  • It was Farhan’s maiden T20 ton and he became only the second Pakistani to score a T20 World Cup century after Ahmed Shehzad in 2014 against Bangladesh

COLOMBO: Sahibzada Farhan hit a magnificent unbeaten century to help Pakistan seal the final Super Eight berth at the T20 World Cup with a thumping 102-run win over Namibia in Colombo on Wednesday.

Farhan scored 100 not out off 58 balls with four sixes and 10 fours as Pakistan posted 199-3 before they routed Namibia for 97 in 17.3 overs.

Pakistan’s victory took them to six points from four games in Group A and eliminated the United States, who finished with four points.

India also have six points and play the Netherlands in the group’s final game later Wednesday.

The defending champions India, South Africa, Zimbabwe and the West Indies will play each other in the Super eights Group 1, hosted in India.

Pakistan join New Zealand, England and co-hosts Sri Lanka in Group 2, hosted in Sri Lanka.

After a morale-shattering 61-run defeat against India, Pakistan needed a victory to avoid an early exit, which was achieved with ease as spinners Usman Tariq (4-16) and Shadab Khan (3-19) tore through the Namibia batting.

Louren Steenkamp scored 23 while Alexander Busing-Volschenk was the only other batsman to reach double figures with 20.

‘Complete performance’ 

Skipper Salman Agha praised a clinical show.

“It is a complete performance,” said a relieved Agha.

“We batted well and Farhan anchored the innings. He has been batting well for a while and I am happy that he got his hundred.

“With the ball we were lethal.”

Namibian skipper Gerhard Erasmus admitted Pakistan’s spin bowlers were too hot to handle.

“It (spin) is a special skill to have, to turn the ball both ways like they do,” said Erasmus.

“I think that’s one of the things we’ll definitely take home and look to improve on.”

Farhan earlier blasted a six and a four off pace bowler Jack Brassell to enter the 90s before taking a single off Gerhard Erasmus to complete his hundred in the final over.

It was Farhan’s maiden T20 ton and he became only the second Pakistani to score a T20 World Cup century after Ahmed Shehzad in 2014 against Bangladesh.

Shadab Khan, promoted to No. 5 with Babar Azam left out, hit three sixes and a four in his 36 not out off 22 balls as Pakistan smashed 42 from the last three overs.

Farhan put on 40 for the opening wicket with Saim Ayub (14) before consolidating the innings during a 67-run second wicket stand with captain Salman Agha (38).

Pakistan also left out pace bowler Shaheen Shah Afridi after a poor show in the first three matches, including conceding 31 in two overs in the defeat against India on Sunday.

Farhan’s ton means this is the first T20 World Cup in which three centuries have been scored.

He followed Sri Lanka’s Pathum Nissanka, who scored a hundred against Australia on Monday, and Canada’s Yuvraj Sama who reached three figures against New Zealand on Tuesday.