BEIRUT: Lebanon’s Iran-backed Hezbollah movement said Saturday it had downed and seized an Israeli drone that flew over the UN-demarcated Blue Line border.
The Israel Defense Forces said that “earlier today, during IDF operational activity along the Blue Line, an IDF drone fell in Lebanese territory.”
“There is no risk of breach of information,” it added in a statement.
Hezbollah said its fighters had downed the drone near the town of Aita Al-Shaab.
The Jewish state, which is technically at war with Lebanon, late last month said it had repelled an attempt by Hezbollah fighters to penetrate the border.
The Shiite Muslim group Hezbollah denied any involvement in the incident, which came after an alleged Israeli missile attack hit positions of Syrian regime forces and their allies south of Damascus, killing five.
Hezbollah, whose fighters back Damascus in the nine-year-old Syrian civil war, at the time said one of its own was among the dead and it vowed to respond.
Hezbollah had in September 2019 vowed to down Israeli drones overflying Lebanon following an incident a month earlier when two drones packed with explosives targeted Hezbollah’s stronghold in south Beirut.
Lebanon and Israel are still technically at war, and the United Nations force, UNIFIL, patrols the border between the two.
Set up in 1978, UNIFIL was beefed up after a month-long devastating war in 2006 between Israel and Lebanon’s Iran-backed Shiite militia Hezbollah.
The 10,500-strong force, in coordination with the Lebanese army, is tasked with monitoring a cease-fire and Israeli pullout from a demilitarised zone on the border.
Israel accuses Hezbollah of stockpiling weapons at the border to prepare for a new war.
Lebanon’s Hezbollah says downed Israeli drone
Short Url
https://arab.news/9nyvw
Lebanon’s Hezbollah says downed Israeli drone
- The Israel Defense Forces said “an IDF drone fell in Lebanese territory” along the Blue Line
- The Jewish state late last month said it had repelled an attempt by Hezbollah fighters to penetrate the border
Turkiye foreign minister to attend Trump’s Board of Peace meeting in Washington
- Hakan Fidan to call for determined steps to resolve the Palestinian issue
- To also emphasize Israel must end actions to hinder the flow of aid into Gaza, stop its ceasefire violations
ANKARA: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan will travel to Washington in lieu of President Tayyip Erdogan for the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump’s “Board of Peace” on Thursday, the foreign ministry said on Wednesday.
A Turkish diplomatic source said that Fidan, during the talks, would call for determined steps to resolve the Palestinian issue and emphasize that Israel must end actions to hinder the flow of aid into Gaza and stop its ceasefire violations.
Fidan will also reiterate Turkiye’s readiness to contribute to Gaza’s reconstruction and its desire to help protect Palestinians and ensure their security, the source said. He will also call for urgent action against Israel’s “illegal settlement activities and settler violence in the West Bank,” the source added.
According to a readout from Erdogan’s office, the president separately told reporters on Wednesday that he hoped the Board of Peace would help achieve “the lasting stability, ceasefire, and eventually peace that Gaza has longed for,” and would focus on bringing about a two-state solution.
A Turkish diplomatic source said that Fidan, during the talks, would call for determined steps to resolve the Palestinian issue and emphasize that Israel must end actions to hinder the flow of aid into Gaza and stop its ceasefire violations.
Fidan will also reiterate Turkiye’s readiness to contribute to Gaza’s reconstruction and its desire to help protect Palestinians and ensure their security, the source said. He will also call for urgent action against Israel’s “illegal settlement activities and settler violence in the West Bank,” the source added.
According to a readout from Erdogan’s office, the president separately told reporters on Wednesday that he hoped the Board of Peace would help achieve “the lasting stability, ceasefire, and eventually peace that Gaza has longed for,” and would focus on bringing about a two-state solution.
© 2026 SAUDI RESEARCH & PUBLISHING COMPANY, All Rights Reserved And subject to Terms of Use Agreement.










