Jordan needs to take measures to decrease local coronavirus cases: PM

Jordanians keep a safe distance as they gather to pray in the court of Mohammad Al-Tilawy mosque in the capital Amman. (File/AFP)
Short Url
Updated 20 August 2020
Follow

Jordan needs to take measures to decrease local coronavirus cases: PM

  • Omar Razzaz said the increase in recent cases is “worrisome”
  • Authorities have increased the presence of police in public spaces, enforced social distancing and obligatory masks

DUBAI: Jordan’s prime minister said it is important to take all “preventive and proactive” actions quickly and seriously as the number of local coronavirus cases rose, state news agency PETRA said.
Omar Razzaz said on Wednesday the increase in recent cases is “worrisome” and a “challenge to all.”
Some of the existing measures are an imposed quarantine on drivers at border crossings and the isolation of Ramtha district, Razzaz added.
Authorities have increased the presence of police in public spaces, enforced social distancing and obligatory masks since Aug. 15, 2020. 
Jordan’s currently has 1,482 known coronavirus cases, 1,259 recoveries and 11 deaths.


Landmine explosion in Sudan kills 9, including 3 children

Updated 3 sec ago
Follow

Landmine explosion in Sudan kills 9, including 3 children

KHARTOUM: A land mine explosion killed nine people in Sudan on Sunday, including three children, as they were riding in an auto-rickshaw along a road in the frontline region of Kordofan, a medical source told AFP.
The war between the regular army and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF), which began in April 2023, has left Sudan strewn with mines and unexploded ordnance, though the explosive that caused Sunday’s deaths could also have dated back to previous rebellions that have shaken South Kordofan state since 2011.
“Nine people, three of them children, were killed by a mine explosion while they were in a tuk-tuk,” a medical source at Al-Abbasiya hospital said.
The vehicle was reduced to “a metal carcass,” witness Abdelbagi Issa told AFP by phone.
“We were walking behind the tuk-tuk along the road to the market when we heard the sound of an explosion,” he said. “People fell to the ground and the tuk-tuk was destroyed.”
Kordofan has become the center of fighting in the nearly three-year war ever since the RSF forced the army out of its last foothold in the neighboring Darfur region late last year.
Since it broke out, Sudan’s civil war has killed tens of thousands of people and forced 11 million to flee their homes, triggering a dire humanitarian crisis.
It has also effectively split the country in two, with the army holding the north, center and east while the RSF and its allies control the west and parts of the south.