Egypt allows Gazans to leave strip for first time in months

Palestinians wait to cross to the Egyptian side of Rafah border crossing after months of closure due to the coronavirus pandemic on August 11, 2020. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 11 August 2020
Follow

Egypt allows Gazans to leave strip for first time in months

  • Palestinians stranded in Egypt and abroad will be allowed to return home

RAFAH, Gaza Strip: Egypt on Tuesday reopened Gaza’s main passenger crossing point for the first time in months for thousands of Palestinians who have been stranded on both sides of the border due to the coronavirus crisis.
Gaza residents holding Egyptian passports, foreign passports and patients seeking treatment abroad were to leave through the Rafah crossing point during its three-day opening, the Hamas-run interior ministry in Gaza said. Some 500 people were scheduled to exit Tuesday, the first time the crossing has allowed departures since March.
Palestinians stranded in Egypt and abroad will be allowed to return home, the ministry added. Traffic for arrivals had been shut since May.
Gaza appears to have managed to keep the pandemic in check — in part of because of an Israeli-Egyptian blockade that severely restricts movement in and out of the territory. Israel and Egypt imposed the blockade after the Islamic militant group Hamas seized control of Gaza in 2007.
Gaza has reported 81 cases of the coronavirus, but all of the cases were people who were in mandatory quarantine centers set up by Hamas for anyone returning to the territory. There have been no reported cases of community transmission inside Gaza.
To prepare for thousands of Palestinians expected to return via Rafah, Hamas has opened more isolation facilities across the Gaza Strip.
Life in Gaza has returned to normal with the virus at bay. Last week, schools reopened normally. Mosques, wedding halls, cafes and gyms are also open.
Israel and Hamas are bitter enemies that have fought three wars and numerous skirmishes since 2007. On Tuesday, Israel closed its only commercial crossing point with Gaza in response to explosives-laden balloons being launched by Palestinians into Israel. The balloons started dozens of fires in Israeli farmland near Gaza.
Israel said the Kerem Shalom crossing will be closed until further notice, but the passage of fuel, food and humanitarian goods is not affected.
The balloons have broken a months-long lull that prevailed during the pandemic. Palestinian media reports suggested that Hamas is allowing the resumption of the balloon launches to press Israel into further easing its restrictions on Gaza and allow large scale economic projects.


Restoring economic growth in Lebanon will require comprehensive reforms, IMF says

Updated 25 sec ago
Follow

Restoring economic growth in Lebanon will require comprehensive reforms, IMF says

  • Kozack said the IMF ⁠remained in discussions with Lebanese authorities

WASHINGTON: Lebanon’s economy has shown resilience despite conflicts in the region, with tourism fueling a bit of a rebound, but restoring growth will require comprehensive ⁠reforms, the International ⁠Monetary Fund said on Thursday.
IMF spokeswoman Julie Kozack said the IMF ⁠remained in discussions with Lebanese authorities, following their request for an IMF-supported program in March 2025, including a staff mission to Beirut in early February.
Discussions ⁠were ⁠focused on two big issues, she said, citing the need for banking sector restructuring and a medium-term fiscal strategy.