AMMAN: Mass food poisoning in Jordan has sickened at least 700 people and killed a child, all of whom ate cut-price shawarma from a restaurant outside Amman, the health ministry said Wednesday.
The owner of the restaurant selling the popular rotisserie meat and bread snacks in Baqa’a district northwest of the capital was arrested, local media reported.
“A five-year-old boy died of massive poisoning,” the ministry said in a statement, adding that at least 100 people had been hospitalized by Tuesday morning before the number reached 700 by Wednesday morning.
“Laboratory tests carried out by specialized investigation teams from the General Food and Drug Administration showed bacteria in the meat and poultry.”
A special offer of a shawarma meal for one Jordanian dinar (about $1.4), or about half the usual price, had sparked an influx to the restaurant, said local news sites.
A heatwave has hit Jordan in recent days, with temperatures in Amman exceeding 40 degrees Celsius (100 degrees Fahrenheit).
Child dies, 700 sick in Jordan mass food poisoning
https://arab.news/rejc7
Child dies, 700 sick in Jordan mass food poisoning
- The shawerma restaurant owner has been arrested, local sources said
- Laboratory tests showed bacteria in the meat and poultry
Syrian government takes over Qamishli airport security in Hasaka
- Qamishli airport has been out of service for the past 15 years and was the only major airport under SDF control
- The Ministry of Interior is conducting the handover process to restore full state authority over vital facilities
LONDON: Syrian authorities have taken over security responsibilities at Qamishli airport in Hasaka Province, northeastern Syrian Arab Republic, as part of the implementation of the agreement between Damascus and the Syrian Democratic Forces.
The Ministry of Interior, represented by the Directorate of Airport and Border Security, is conducting the handover process on Sunday to restore full state authority over vital facilities and enhance security procedures at airports and border crossings, according to the Syrian Arab News Agency.
Qamishli airport has been out of service for the past 15 years and was the only major airport under SDF control.
In January, the Syrian army entered Hasakah and deployed throughout the Jazira region to secure it under an agreement between the Syrian government and the SDF.
Under the agreement, both the Syrian government and the SDF agreed to a ceasefire and a phased integration of military and administrative structures. It also includes deploying government security forces and transferring control of civil institutions and border areas to the state, the SANA added.










