Islamabad welcomes Saudi decision on limited Hajj, calls it in line with Shariah

In this file photo a team of Saudi officials check travel documents for Hajj pilgrims at Islamabad International Airport. The Saudi team installed a pre-immigration system at the airport to facilitate Pakistani travellers flying to Makkah and Madinah last year, under the Road to Makkah Project. July 4, 2019. (Photo Courtesy – Saudi Embassy)
Short Url
Updated 24 June 2020
Follow

Islamabad welcomes Saudi decision on limited Hajj, calls it in line with Shariah

  • The country’s religious affairs minister says it was a difficult but wise choice
  • The government has decided to return the money of 180,000 Pakistanis who were scheduled to perform Hajj this year

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan on Tuesday welcomed the Saudi government’s decision of allowing Hajj 2020 only to a limited number of pilgrims, saying it was perfectly in line with the principles of Shariah since the world was facing a deadly pandemic and needed to prevent the spread of coronavirus.

“The Saudi Hajj minister took us into confidence before making a formal announcement for which we are thankful,” Federal Minister for Religious Affairs Pir Noor-ul-Haq Qadri said on Tuesday in a statement after discussing the issue thoroughly in a federal cabinet meeting chaired by Prime Minister Imran Khan in Islamabad through a video link.

“This is a difficult but wise decision to protect pilgrims from the whole Muslim world from the coronavirus,” Qadri said, adding that the government would fully support the decision.

The novel coronavirus has infected over nine million people in the world with 475,679 related deaths since its emergence in December last year in China’s Wuhan city. Nations across the globe have taken different precautionary measures to stem the spread of the virus, including banning social and religious gatherings.

The Saudi ministry of Hajj announced on Monday that only a limited number of people currently residing in the kingdom would be allowed to perform their pilgrimage this year, irrespective of their nationality.

“King Salman bin Abdulaziz and the government of Saudi Arabia have always ensured to provide best facilities to Hajj pilgrims,” the minister said while hailing the timely decision of limiting the number of pilgrims.

A total of 180,000 Pakistanis were scheduled to perform the pilgrimage this year, but the government has now decided to return the money of all applicants.

“Those applicants who don’t take back their Hajj payments will be selected for the pilgrimage next year without balloting,” Imran Siddiqui, a spokesperson for the Ministry of Religious Affairs, told Arab News.

He said the ministry would soon finalize a procedure to return the payments of Hajj applicants and share its details with them via text messages.

“Pakistanis residing in Saudi Arabia and our diplomatic staff in the Kingdom would perform the Hajj and represent the country,” Siddiqui added.

Pakistan currently has a 2.5 million-strong expat community living in Saudi Arabia.


Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

  • Shaheen Shah Afridi was left out after conceding 101 runs in three matches
  • Pakistan will now face New Zealand in the opening match of the second phase

COLOMBO: Batting great Babar Azam was dropped for Pakistan’s final T20 World Cup group game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, said head coach Mike Hesson on Friday.

Azam, who is the highest run-scorer in T20 international history with 4,571 runs, was left out for the must-win game against Namibia as Pakistan racked up 199-3 and secured a place in the Super Eights by 102 runs.

The 2009 champions face New Zealand in Colombo on Saturday in the opening match of the second phase.

“I think Babar is well aware that his strike rate in the power play in the World Cup is less than 100 and that’s clearly not the role we think we need,” Hesson told reporters after Pakistan’s final practice session on Friday was washed out by rain.

Pakistan left out Azam for the same reason at last year’s Asia Cup and even after dismal showing in the Big Bash League, he was still selected for the T20 World Cup.

“We brought Babar back in for a specific role post the Asia Cup,” said Hesson.

“We’ve got plenty of other options who can come in and perform that role toward the end.

“Babar is actually the first to acknowledge that.

“He knows that he’s got a certain set of skills that the team requires and there are certain times where other players can perform that role more efficiently.”

Hesson also defended dropping pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi after he conceded 101 runs in three matches, including 31 in two overs against India.

“We made a call that Salman Mirza was coming in for Shaheen, and he bowled incredibly well,” said Hesson.

“To be fair, he was probably really unlucky to not be playing the second and third games.”

Hesson was wary of Pakistan’s opponents on Saturday.

“New Zealand have played a huge amount in the subcontinent in recent times so we have to play at our best.”