Pakistan extends suspension of international flights till May 15

A worker walks at the departure area of the Islamabad International Airport on April 18, 2018. (REUTERS)
Short Url
Updated 26 April 2020
Follow

Pakistan extends suspension of international flights till May 15

  • Move follows a spike in virus cases to nearly 13,000 across the country
  • Select flights to bring back nationals stranded elsewhere and exempted from restrictions 

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s temporary ban on all international flights will continue until May 15 to limit the spread of coronavirus in the country, the country’s Aviation Division said in a statement released on Saturday night.

“As per the decision of the government of Pakistan, the suspension of international flight operations as effected earlier has been extended up to Friday, May 15, 2020...,” it said.

The ban, which came into effect on March 21, is part of Pakistan’s anti-virus measures to limit the spread of the deadly disease even as the confirmed number of infections rose to nearly 13,000 on Sunday, with 269 deaths reported.

However, based on special permission provided by the government, national carrier Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) and a few foreign airlines will be allowed to operate, to bring back approximately 60,000 overseas Pakistanis.

On Saturday, Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi said that Pakistan had increased its capacity to bring back 7,000 nationals every week, as opposed to 5,000 which was set earlier.

In a video address to the Pakistani diaspora in the US, he said the government was making all efforts to bring all 60,000 nationals back before Eid ul Fitr.

“We have already brought back 10,000 Pakistanis,” he said.


Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

  • Shaheen Shah Afridi was left out after conceding 101 runs in three matches
  • Pakistan will now face New Zealand in the opening match of the second phase

COLOMBO: Batting great Babar Azam was dropped for Pakistan’s final T20 World Cup group game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, said head coach Mike Hesson on Friday.

Azam, who is the highest run-scorer in T20 international history with 4,571 runs, was left out for the must-win game against Namibia as Pakistan racked up 199-3 and secured a place in the Super Eights by 102 runs.

The 2009 champions face New Zealand in Colombo on Saturday in the opening match of the second phase.

“I think Babar is well aware that his strike rate in the power play in the World Cup is less than 100 and that’s clearly not the role we think we need,” Hesson told reporters after Pakistan’s final practice session on Friday was washed out by rain.

Pakistan left out Azam for the same reason at last year’s Asia Cup and even after dismal showing in the Big Bash League, he was still selected for the T20 World Cup.

“We brought Babar back in for a specific role post the Asia Cup,” said Hesson.

“We’ve got plenty of other options who can come in and perform that role toward the end.

“Babar is actually the first to acknowledge that.

“He knows that he’s got a certain set of skills that the team requires and there are certain times where other players can perform that role more efficiently.”

Hesson also defended dropping pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi after he conceded 101 runs in three matches, including 31 in two overs against India.

“We made a call that Salman Mirza was coming in for Shaheen, and he bowled incredibly well,” said Hesson.

“To be fair, he was probably really unlucky to not be playing the second and third games.”

Hesson was wary of Pakistan’s opponents on Saturday.

“New Zealand have played a huge amount in the subcontinent in recent times so we have to play at our best.”