Shot by Houthis, Yemeni government liaison officer in Hodeida dies

Houthi Shiite Yemenis check a car as they guard a street during clashes near the presidential palace in Sanaa, Yemen, Monday, Jan. 19, 2015. (AP)
Short Url
Updated 19 April 2020
Follow

Shot by Houthis, Yemeni government liaison officer in Hodeida dies

  • The Houthis shelled residential areas in Al-Bayda’s Al-Soma’a district, killing the three civilians and injuring several others

AL-MUKALLA: Yemen’s internationally recognized government mourned the death of Col. Mohammed Al-Sulaihi, a government liaison officer who was shot by a Houthi sniper in Hodeidah.
Information Minister Muammar Al-Aryani said Al-Sulaihi succumbed to his wounds at a hospital in Aden on Friday.
Al-Aryani urged the UN mission that monitors the truce in Hodeidah to condemn Houthi violations there.  
“This reaffirms that the Houthis disrespect all agreements … and can’t be a peace partner,” he tweeted on Friday.
The government quit the Redeployment Coordination Committee (RCC) that sponsors the UN-brokered truce in the western province of Hodeidah, and vowed not to rejoin it until UN observers force the Houthis to stop attacks on the government’s observation posts.
On Saturday, the UN’s Yemen Envoy Martin Griffiths condemned the attack. “My deepest condolences for the tragic death of Col. Al-Sulaihi to the government of Yemen and his family,” Griffiths tweeted.

He will be remembered for his service in support of bringing peace to his country.

Martin Griffiths, UN’s Yemen envoy

“He was shot in Hodeidah in a deplorable and unacceptable attack. He will be remembered for his service in support of bringing peace to his country.”
The government canceled a major military offensive on the city of Hodeidah in 2018 in exchange for the Houthis withdrawing from its seaports, opening roads, defusing landmines and stopping the shelling of government forces.  
A woman and two children were killed on Friday when the Houthis shelled their homes in the central province of Al-Bayda, Yemen’s official news agency reported.  
The Houthis shelled residential areas in Al-Bayda’s Al-Soma’a district, killing the three civilians and injuring several others.
Fighting has been raging in Al-Bayda since early last week when government forces launched an offensive to recapture areas held by the Houthis.  
In the central province of Marib, hundreds of people attended on Friday the funeral of Col. Murad Mohammed Al-Thalya, a military commander who was killed fighting the Houthis on Wednesday.


5 bodies of migrants washed ashore in east of Libya’s capital Tripoli, police officer says

Updated 22 February 2026
Follow

5 bodies of migrants washed ashore in east of Libya’s capital Tripoli, police officer says

TRIPOLI: At least five ‌bodies of migrants including two women have been washed ashore in َQasr Al-Akhyar, a coastal town in the east of Libya’s capital Tripoli, ​a police officer told Reuters on Saturday.
Hassan Al-Ghawil, head of investigations at the Qasr Al-Akhyar police station, said that according to people in the area, a child’s body washed ashore and because of the waves’ height the body returned to the sea, and the coast guard was asked to search for ‌it.
Ghawil said the ‌bodies are all dark-skinned people. ​The bodies ‌were ⁠found ​on Emhamid ⁠Al-Sharif shore in the western part of the town by people who reported to the police station.
Libya has become a transit route for migrants fleeing conflict and poverty to Europe across the Mediterranean since the fall in 2011 of dictator Muammar Qaddafi to a ⁠NATO-backed uprising. Factional conflict has split the ‌country into western and eastern ‌factions since 2014.
Qasr Al-Akhyar is a ​coastal town some 73 ‌kilometers (45 miles) east of Tripoli.
Pictures were posted on the ‌Internet, and also seen by Reuters, showing the bodies of the migrants lying on the shore, where some were still within black inflatable lifebuoys.
“We reported to the Red Crescent ‌to recover the bodies,” said Ghawil. “The bodies we found are still intact and we ⁠think there ⁠are more bodies to wash ashore.”
Earlier this month, fifty-three migrants, including two babies, were dead or missing after a rubber boat carrying 55 people capsized off the coast of Zuwara town in western Tripoli, the International Organization for Migration said.
Last week, a UN report said migrants in Libya, including young girls, are at risk of being killed, tortured, raped or put into domestic slavery, calling for a moratorium on ​the return of migrant boats ​to the country until human rights are ensured.