Virus lockdown spikes Pakistan’s Internet usage but capacity sufficient — PTA

A view of Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA) building in Islamabad, Pakistan, January 22, 2020. (AN photo)
Short Url
Updated 07 April 2020
Follow

Virus lockdown spikes Pakistan’s Internet usage but capacity sufficient — PTA

  • Nationwide lockdown has spiked Internet usage by 15 percent
  • 82.12 million people in Pakistan use some type of Internet connectivity platform

Islamabad: The nationwide lockdown to mitigate the spread of coronavirus pandemic has forced majority of the country into imposed isolation pushing people to work from home impacting the Internet bandwidth which spiked significantly after Pakistan announced shutdowns last month but the bandwidth utilization has stabilized, said the national telecom regulator on Monday.

“The Internet usage touched its peak in the first week of the lockdown and has been stable for last few days,” said Tayyaba Iftikhar, assistant director of public relations for Pakistan Telecommunications Authority (PTA) in an email response to Arab News adding the “on average, our bandwidth utilization has increased between 12 and 15 percent.

Pakistan’s current projected population by United Nations is at 220 million but according to the government’s bureau of statistics census conducted in 2017, it is around 208 million, of which 82.12 million people use some type of Internet connectivity platform, said the PTA official.

Asked if the bandwidth available is parallel or higher than the burgeoning demand as all segments of society, business sectors, educational institutes, and government divisions have augmented their utilization to avoid physical contact or communication, Iftikhar replied: “Pakistan has enough capacity to cater for any projected requirements of telecom subscribers.

“Service providers commission additional bandwidth based upon their needs” and in case of a of undersea cable breakdown, “telecom networks and the international Internet bandwidth providers have sufficient redundancy,” she said.

Internet Service Providers Association of Pakistan (ISPAK), established in 1997, claims on its webpage fact section updated in February, that the country has an Internet bandwidth capacity of more than 2500 Gbps combined from two authorized capacity suppliers — Pakistan Telecommunication Company Limited (PTCL) and Transworld — with five undersea cables connecting the country to the world and four companies providing the domestic fiber backbones.

“In this exceptional situation, all operators have been performing at optimum level without any serious issues so far,” said Iftikhar. “Logistical arrangements have been a major challenge for the operators but that is being managed reasonably despite social distancing and movement restrictions.” 

“PTA is maintaining close liaison with all stakeholders to resolve any challenges in this regard,” the official said. 

However, complaints over Internet connectivity and slow browsing persist and Pakistan’s President Dr. Arif Alvi took notice on Monday during a briefing “on the issues faced by Internet users, particularly students, due to pressure on existing Internet infrastructure, as people had started working from home and students were getting online education due to corona pandemic,” according to an official statement.

The regulator said that it is continuously monitoring the situation and working with all telecom operators to provide maximum possible facilitation to consumers through special Internet packages.

Iftikhar said: “All possible measures were being taken to facilitate operators and IT enabled companies to keep their networks and connectivity up and running.”

Responding on the question concerning restrictions on virtual private networks, voice over Internet protocol, video conferencing applications raised by ISPAK as these arguably secure means of communication are the most commonly used by people working from home, the PTA official refuted the claim and said, “PTA has not blocked legal VPN, VoIP and video conferencing applications.”

“Action is only taken against such traffic which is used by unlicensed operators terminating illegal calls on licensed PSTN (public switched telephone) networks. Therefore, no issue is being faced in terms of those working from home.”


Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

Updated 7 sec ago
Follow

Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

  • Shaheen Shah Afridi was left out after conceding 101 runs in three matches
  • Pakistan will now face New Zealand in the opening match of the second phase

COLOMBO: Batting great Babar Azam was dropped for Pakistan’s final T20 World Cup group game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, said head coach Mike Hesson on Friday.

Azam, who is the highest run-scorer in T20 international history with 4,571 runs, was left out for the must-win game against Namibia as Pakistan racked up 199-3 and secured a place in the Super Eights by 102 runs.

The 2009 champions face New Zealand in Colombo on Saturday in the opening match of the second phase.

“I think Babar is well aware that his strike rate in the power play in the World Cup is less than 100 and that’s clearly not the role we think we need,” Hesson told reporters after Pakistan’s final practice session on Friday was washed out by rain.

Pakistan left out Azam for the same reason at last year’s Asia Cup and even after dismal showing in the Big Bash League, he was still selected for the T20 World Cup.

“We brought Babar back in for a specific role post the Asia Cup,” said Hesson.

“We’ve got plenty of other options who can come in and perform that role toward the end.

“Babar is actually the first to acknowledge that.

“He knows that he’s got a certain set of skills that the team requires and there are certain times where other players can perform that role more efficiently.”

Hesson also defended dropping pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi after he conceded 101 runs in three matches, including 31 in two overs against India.

“We made a call that Salman Mirza was coming in for Shaheen, and he bowled incredibly well,” said Hesson.

“To be fair, he was probably really unlucky to not be playing the second and third games.”

Hesson was wary of Pakistan’s opponents on Saturday.

“New Zealand have played a huge amount in the subcontinent in recent times so we have to play at our best.”