Football matches across Europe to be played in empty stadiums

1 / 2
Barcelona have announced their second leg against Napoli next week will be closed to fans. (FC Barcelona Twitter)
2 / 2
Real Madrid's Santiago Bernabeu stadium will be empty for Friday's game against Eibar. (AP)
Short Url
Updated 10 March 2020
Follow

Football matches across Europe to be played in empty stadiums

  • Football and other sporting authorities across Europe trying prevent further spread of the coronavirus at their events
  • First football match affected will be Real Madrid's home game against Eibar on Friday

MADRID: All upcoming professional football matches in Spain, France and Portugal, as well as some in Germany and a European Championship qualifying match in Slovakia, will be played in empty stadiums because of the coronavirus outbreak.
The Spanish league said Tuesday that matches in the first and second divisions will be played without fans for at least two weeks. The announcement came after the government outlined a series of preventative measures being implemented to help contain the spread of the virus, including ordering all sporting events with a significant number of fans — professional and non-professional — to be played in empty venues.
The league said it will “follow its recommendations and/or decisions, prioritizing the health of fans, players, club employees, journalists, etc., due to the COVID-19 health crisis.”
Portugal announced similar measures for the professional league and said youth competitions would be suspended between Saturday and March 28. It also said non-professional matches can’t be played with crowds bigger than 5,000 people.
Later Tuesday, the French football league announced that all matches in its top two divisions will be played without fans until April 15.
The moves came a day after Italy said all sports events in the country, including Serie A football and preparatory events for the Tokyo Olympics, would be suspended until April 3.
The first major game without fans in the Spanish league will be between Real Madrid and Eibar at the Santiago Bernabéu Stadium in Madrid on Friday.


“For weeks, LaLiga has been working on alternative plans in coordination with UEFA in case health authorities decide to suspend any match, creating a plan to play these matches,” the Spanish league said.
Champions League matches are also being affected in Spain, including next week’s game between Barcelona and Napoli at the Camp Nou. Barcelona said that match will have no fans in attendance.
Spain had previously announced a decision to play Tuesday’s Champions League game between Valencia and Italian club Atalanta in an empty stadium. Two Europa League matches in the country have also been affected — Sevilla vs. Roma on Thursday and Getafe vs. Inter Milan on March 19. Rome and Inter are also from Italy.
The Spanish track federation also said it was told by the government of measures affecting all professional and non-professional sporting events in the country. Basketball games in Spain will also have to be played in empty venues.
Spain’s health minister on Monday announced a sharp spike in coronavirus cases in and around Madrid, and said all schools in the region will close for two weeks from Wednesday. There were more than 1,600 confirmed cases in Spain on Tuesday, with 35 deaths and more than 100 people in intensive care.
In Germany, the Bundesliga will stage its first games without spectators this week. Borussia Mönchengladbach said its match against Cologne on Wednesday would take place in an empty stadium. On Saturday, Borussia Dortmund will face Schalke in one of German football’s fiercest local rivalries without fans.
Dortmund will also play at Paris Saint-Germain in the Champions League on Wednesday without fans under measures previously imposed by French authorities.
The other two Champions League games this week, Leipzig’s match against Tottenham on Tuesday and Liverpool’s home game against Atletico Madrid on Wednesday, are expected to be played with fans.
Liverpool manager Jürgen Klopp said closing stadiums to fans — a measure not yet taken by English soccer authorities — wouldn’t necessarily be the best solution.
“The problem with football games,” Klopp said, “is if you are not in the stadiums, then you go watch it closely together in rooms and I’m not sure which is better in this case, to be honest.”
The Irish football association said its Euro 2020 playoff match against Slovakia on March 26 will be played in an empty stadium “on the instruction of the Slovakian government.” And the German football federation, the Bundesliga, said its friendly against Italy on March 31 will be played without fans in Nuremburg.
Dutch football was also hit. Authorities in the province of North-Brabant called off this weekend’s professional matches, including three in the top division.
The Europa League game between LASK and Manchester United in Austria will also be played without fans.
If Serie A is unable to complete its season, the Italian football federation said Tuesday it was considering three options: Not assigning the title but informing UEFA which teams had qualified for Europe; determining the champion with the standings at the time of the suspension; or forming a playoff to decide the title.
Sports around the world have been affected by the virus, including an important tennis tournament scheduled for this week in California and many Olympic qualifying events.
The next Grand Slam tennis tournament is the French Open, which is due to start in Paris on May 24.
“The French Open is 11 weeks away,” the French tennis federation said Tuesday. “We are not hypothesizing that it will be canceled or postponed.”
For most people, the new coronavirus causes only mild or moderate symptoms, such as fever and cough. For some, especially older adults and people with existing health problems, it can cause more severe illness, including pneumonia.
The vast majority of people recover from the new virus. According to the WHO, people with mild illness recover in about two weeks. Those with more severe illness may take three to six weeks to recover. In mainland China, where the virus first exploded, more than 80,000 people have been diagnosed and more than 63,000 so far have recovered.
In Greece, the owner of the Olympiakos and Nottingham Forest football clubs said he has the virus.
Greek shipowner and businessman Evangelos Marinakis said in a post on his verified Facebook page that “the recent virus has ‘visited’ me and I felt obliged to let the public know.” His post says he feels well and is following doctors’ instructions.
Also, Polish Sports Minister Danuta Dmowska-Andrzejuk recommended that athletes from her country refrain from going to sports events abroad.
Poland is due to host the Europa League final on May 27 in Gdansk, three days before Turkey hosts the Champions League final in Istanbul. Tickets are on sale for both games.
UEFA said Tuesday that both games will be played as scheduled.
“UEFA takes the situation linked to the coronavirus very seriously,” the governing body of European football said in an emailed statement. “We are closely monitoring the situation and are in contact with the World Health Organization and national authorities regarding COVID-19 and its development.”
In MotoGP, the Grand Prix of the Americas in Austin, Texas, was postponed until November.
Bobby Epstein, chairman of the Circuit of the Americas, said the decision was made by MotoGP because of global concerns over travel, most notably in Italy, and not one made by local officials.
“The risk of shipping everything here, having fans coming here, and then not having an event,” Epstein said, “that was too big a risk to take.”
With Italy-based athletes facing restrictions on their travel, the country’s men’s ski team said it would not send competitors to Slovenia for the last World Cup races of the season this weekend. Slovenia plans health checks on its borders with Italy.

 


Filipina fairytale continues as Eala sets up quarterfinal date with Gauff

Updated 9 sec ago
Follow

Filipina fairytale continues as Eala sets up quarterfinal date with Gauff

  • Cheered on by thousands of noisy Pinoy fans, Dubai debutant Eala beats Romanian veteran Sorana Cirstea in straight sets to reach Friday’s last 8
  • 2-time Grand Slam winner Gauff progresses despite hitting 16 double-faults and needing to save 3 match points against Belgian Elize Mertens

DUBAI: The Filipina fairytale continues after Alexandra Eala, 20, defeated Sorana Cirstea 7-5, 6-4 on Wednesday night to book a last-eight date with world No. 4 Coco Gauff at the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships.

“I take it all in with a spoonful of gratitude,” Eala said, after being cheered on like the hero she is quickly becoming among her compatriots.

The world No. 47 — the highest-ranked Filipina in WTA Tour history — showed a quiet confidence to slowly grind down her veteran opponent and reach the quarterfinals of a 1000 tournament for the second time.

Cirstea is 15 places higher in the world rankings and reached the semifinals here two years ago but such was the energy inside a thronged stadium, the Romanian never looked likely to quieten the Kabayan crowd.

That is not to suggest the passionate fans got their new hero over the line. Eala has after all been preparing for moments like these since she was 4 years old and being coached by her grandad in Manila.

“Obviously their support means a lot to me,” she said.

“It definitely motivated me in the tight moments and makes the emotions more intense when I win, but I wouldn’t attribute all of it to them. Whether they’re there or not, I’m going to fight until the end and do what I can to win.

“I’ve not always been a competitor who’s been put in night sessions on center court. I’ve been playing tennis for many years and I’m also used to playing in front of no crowds.

“I’m still in the earlier phase of my career, so I’m doing my best to enjoy and I hope the feeling is reciprocated by the crowd. It just creates an amazing atmosphere.”

With the first set going with serve through 10 games, Eala finally grabbed the break she needed to win it. In the second set, such was Eala’s early dominance and the noise it generated among the partisan crowd that it almost felt cruel on Cirstea.

Every winner from Eala, every unforced error from the Romanian, and every break in play, was filled with ear-splitting cheers, catchy chants, and the waving of flags, posters, and hand-made signs, including one that read “Alex, please marry my son.”

Cirstea had complained only a few weeks ago at the Australian Open when she deemed Naomi Osaka to have been excessively vocal while pumping herself up between points.

How she must have felt then during this 98-minute match as the crowd screamed like Beatlemania reborn and the only thing that could quieten it — her A-game — never quite got going. The umpire had his work cut out, repeatedly reminding the fans that silence was required during play.

When Eala closed out the win, smiling widely before eventually letting out a guttural roar in the middle of the court, she turned her focus to Thursday. “Win or lose, it’s a great opportunity for me to learn.

“Obviously facing a player like Coco is something that people would kill to do, and in a quarterfinal here in Dubai as well, so I’m super excited.”

Earlier in the evening on the same court, Gauff hit 16 double-faults and had to save three second-set match points as she fought back against Elise Mertens to confirm her place.

The American, ranked No. 4 in the world, progressed 2-6, 7-6(9), 6-3, but it was painful viewing, even for her. “I’m trying to be positive,” she said.

“I’m critical. I feel like ... I don’t know. It’s weird. I feel like the last tournament I took some steps forward, and today I took some steps backwards, but still got the win.

“It’s a weird feeling. I feel conflicted. It wasn’t the prettiest, but I’m also happy. I could have easily lost.”

Despite Mertens beating a top 10 player only once in the past 12 attempts on hard courts, Gauff started erratically, losing two of her first three service games and looking well-beaten as she slumped to a first-set loss within 33 minutes.

The stats card made for even more unpleasant reading. Three double-faults and 14 unforced errors off her forehand epitomized a first-set performance far from the standard expected of a world No. 4.

But then came a glimmer of hope as she broke back. In doing so, she regained a little control and it was then the turn of Mertens, 21, to fire off a series of unforced errors.

She found herself 5-3 up and serving to tie the set, but once more faltered, double-faulting and failing to hold to allow her opponent a route back into the set and push it toward a tie-break.

What followed was a showcase of ugly tennis and erratic, wild serving. Gauff saved three match points before getting lucky when she clipped the cord with a backhand. Apologizing with a raised hand, she took the lead and closed out the tiebreak 11-9 to force a deciding set.

“I feel like it’s almost easier to play when you’re down than when you have the match in your hands,” Gauff said. “I just wanted to give myself the chance today.

“I feel like my last two matches, in Doha and the Australian Open, I didn’t feel like I fought enough for the second sets. This match, when I lost the first set, I really wanted to fight for that second and give myself the opportunity to compete in the third.”

With the third set confirmed, she grabbed the opportunity, securing the vital break at 4-3. “I don’t even remember the last time I saved match points, probably when I was 15, so I’m really happy to get through today, it was a long one,” she said,

Addressing the majority-Pinoy crowd with a giggle, she said: “I know you guys are probably here for Alex, so I’m sorry I made you wait.”