Sudan to probe violence against Khartoum protesters

A Sudanese protestor carries a national flag as others burn tyres in the centre of the capital Khartoum during a demonstration calling for the reinstatement of soldiers who were forced into retirement after they voiced support for last year's revolution, on February 20, 2020. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 22 February 2020
Follow

Sudan to probe violence against Khartoum protesters

  • The military removed Bashir from office and arrested him last April after months of demonstrations, bringing an end to his 30 years of autocratic rule

CAIRO: Sudanese Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok on Saturday ordered an investigation into a violent crackdown by security forces on protesters in Khartoum.
 Hamdok said in a televised speech: “I decided to form an investigative committee in the events that occurred on Feb. 20-21.”
 He said Attorney General Taj-Elsir Ali would head the committee and a final report would be issued within seven days.
 On Thursday, Sudanese security forces used teargas and batons to disperse thousands of protesters.
They were demanding the reinstatement of army officers dismissed for refusing to crack down on demonstrations against former President Omar Bashir, witnesses said.
 A doctors’ committee linked to the opposition said in a statement that at least 17 people were wounded, and many of the wounded were hit by teargas canisters.

HIGHLIGHT

Mohamed Seddik, an iconic figure of the uprising, is among those dismissed last week and one of several young army officers who had refused to participate in the crackdown on demonstrations in front of the Defense Ministry calling for the removal of Bashir.

The military removed Bashir from office and arrested him last April after months of demonstrations, bringing an end to his 30 years of autocratic rule.
But dozens of protesters were killed during crackdowns on the demonstrations, and dozens more died last June when security forces cleared a sit-in at which protesters pushed for further reforms.
Mohamed Seddik, an iconic figure of the uprising, is among those dismissed last week and one of several young army officers who had refused to participate in the crackdown on demonstrations in front of the Defense Ministry calling for the removal of Bashir.


Israeli far-right minister to push for ‘migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians

Updated 19 sec ago
Follow

Israeli far-right minister to push for ‘migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians

  • Israel’s far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of “encouraging the migration” of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported
JERUSALEM: Israel’s far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of “encouraging the migration” of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.
“We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state,” said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.
“We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.
“There is no other long-term solution,” he added.
Since last week, Israel’s security cabinet has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.
On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amounts to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.