Harry, Meghan in first joint event since leaving royal fold

Prince Harry and his wife Meghan have taken part in their first joint public engagement since quitting as working members of Britain’s royal family, Buckingham Palace said Friday. (File/Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 08 February 2020
Follow

Harry, Meghan in first joint event since leaving royal fold

  • The couple left Britain in a shock move last month, stepping back from royal duties to pursue financial independence instead
  • The Duke and Duchess of Sussex attended a JPMorgan Chase event in Miami, where Harry gave a speech

LONDON: Prince Harry and his wife Meghan have taken part in their first joint public engagement since quitting as working members of Britain’s royal family, Buckingham Palace said Friday.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex attended a JPMorgan Chase event in Miami, where Harry gave a speech.
The couple left Britain in a shock move last month, stepping back from royal duties to pursue financial independence instead.
JPMorgan Chase is the biggest US bank by assets. It is not known if Harry was paid for the speech at the 1 Hotel in Miami’s South Beach.
“I can confirm reports the Sussexes attended a JPMorgan gathering in Miami yesterday, where the duke spoke,” a Buckingham Palace spokeswoman said Friday.
Harry and Meghan have been living in a luxury mansion outside Victoria on Canada’s Pacific west coast with their baby son Archie.
A clear majority of Canadians feel their country should not have to pay for their security, according to a poll by Nanos Research for CTV out Monday.
Canada is a parliamentary monarchy and Harry’s grandmother Queen Elizabeth II is the reigning head of state. The prince is sixth in line to the throne.
However, 77 percent believed Canadian taxpayers should not have to stump up because the Sussexes are not in Canada as representatives of the sovereign.
There has been no official announcement about the question of security, or who will cover the bill, now that they have officially left behind royal duties.


India tells university to leave AI summit after presenting Chinese robot as its own, sources say

Updated 18 February 2026
Follow

India tells university to leave AI summit after presenting Chinese robot as its own, sources say

  • Social media users quickly identified the robot as ‌the Unitree Go2, ‌sold by China’s Unitree Robotics for about $2,800
  • Orion, the robotic dog, was claimed to have been developed at the Center of Excellence at Galgotias University

NEW DELHI: An ‌Indian university has been asked to vacate its stall at the country’s flagship AI summit after a staff member was caught presenting a commercially available robotic dog made in China as its own creation, two government sources said.
“You need to meet Orion. This has been developed by the Center of Excellence at Galgotias University,” Neha Singh, a professor of communications, told state-run broadcaster DD News this week in remarks that have since gone viral.
But social media users quickly identified the robot as ‌the Unitree Go2, ‌sold by China’s Unitree Robotics for about $2,800 and ‌widely ⁠used in research ⁠and education globally.
The episode has drawn sharp criticism and has cast an uncomfortable spotlight on India’s artificial intelligence ambitions.
The embarrassment was amplified by IT Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw, who shared the video clip on his official social media account before the backlash. The post was later deleted.
Both Galgotias and Singh have ⁠subsequently said the robot was not a university ‌creation and the university had ‌never claimed otherwise.
The stall remained open to visitors as of Wednesday morning with ‌university officials fielding questions from media about accusations of plagiarism ‌and misrepresentation.
Galgotias has yet to receive any communication about being kicked out from the event, a representative at the booth said.
The India AI Impact summit at Bharat Mandapam in New Delhi, which ‌runs until Saturday, has been billed as the first major AI gathering hosted in the ⁠Global South. ⁠Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Google’s Sundar Pichai, OpenAI’s Sam Altman and Anthropic’s Dario Amodei will address the gathering on Thursday.
The event has also faced broader organizational difficulties since opening, with delegates reporting overcrowding and logistical issues.
That said, there has been more than $100 billion of investment in India AI projects pledged during the summit, including investments from the Adani Group conglomerate, tech giant Microsoft and data center firm Yotta.
India’s biggest opposition party, Congress, was among those expressing outrage.
“The Modi government has made a laughing stock of India globally with regard to AI,” it said on social media, citing the robot incident.