PPL-led consortium gets green light to bid for ADNOC block

Prime Minister's Adviser on Finance Abdul Hafeez Shaikh chairs the Economic Coordination Committee's (ECC) meeting in Islamabad on Dec. 30, 2019. (PID Photo)
Short Url
Updated 30 December 2019
Follow

PPL-led consortium gets green light to bid for ADNOC block

  • ADNOC will announce five blocks, three of them offshore 
  • Pakistan is participating in the Abu Dhabi bidding for the first time

KARACHI: Pakistan on Monday allowed a consortium led by state-owned Pakistan Petroleum Limited (PPL) to participate in bidding for an Abu Dhabi block.

PPL will act as the consortium’s operator, while Oil and Gas Development Company (OGDCL), Mari Petroleum Company Limited (MPCL), and Government Holding Private Limited (GHPL) will be its partners.

The Economic Coordination Committee (ECC) of the cabinet allowed the consortium to participate in Abu Dhabi National Oil Company’s (ADNOC) competitive bid round for new licenses for oil and gas exploration, and to make initial investments with their own resources, while any additional financial requirements shall be met by the government, the Ministry of Finance said in a statement.

In April 2018, ADNOC launched its first competitive bid round for the exploration, development, and production of oil and gas in Abu Dhabi. Following the successful conclusion of the debut round, the company is launching a second licensing bid round on Tuesday for another set of major onshore and offshore blocks across the emirate, ADNOC said on its website.

Five blocks – three offshore and two onshore – have been announced for the second round.

“The approval for bidding was given in view of enhancing the technical skills of the consortium, which is also working in Pakistan and for bringing the additional foreign exchange to the country,” the ministry’s statement read.

The UAE is the world’s seventh-largest oil producer, with about 96 percent of its reserves within the emirate of Abu Dhabi.

While Pakistan is participating in the bidding process for the first time, experts say competition will be tough, as the world’s exploration giants are vying for the venture. PPL has experience in overseas exploration, with its operations in Iraq.


Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

  • Chief Minister Shah cites constitutional safeguards against altering provincial boundaries
  • Calls to separate Karachi intensified amid governance concerns after a mall fire last month

ISLAMABAD: The provincial assembly of Pakistan’s southern Sindh province on Saturday passed a resolution rejecting any move to separate Karachi, declaring its territorial integrity “non-negotiable” amid political calls to carve the city out as a separate administrative unit.

The resolution comes after fresh demands by the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) and other voices to grant Karachi provincial or federal status following governance challenges highlighted by the deadly Gul Plaza fire earlier this year that killed 80 people.

Karachi, Pakistan’s largest and most densely populated city, is the country’s main commercial hub and contributes a significant share to the national economy.

Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah tabled the resolution in the assembly, condemning what he described as “divisive statements” about breaking up Sindh or detaching Karachi.

“The province that played a foundational role in the creation of Pakistan cannot allow the fragmentation of its own historic homeland,” Shah told lawmakers, adding that any attempt to divide Sindh or separate Karachi was contrary to the constitution and democratic norms.

Citing Article 239 of Pakistan’s 1973 Constitution, which requires the consent of not less than two-thirds of a provincial assembly to alter provincial boundaries, Shah said any such move could not proceed without the assembly’s approval.

“If any such move is attempted, it is this Assembly — by a two-thirds majority — that will decide,” he said.

The resolution reaffirmed that Karachi would “forever remain” an integral part of Sindh and directed the provincial government to forward the motion to the president, prime minister and parliamentary leadership for record.

Shah said the resolution was not aimed at anyone but referred to the shifting stance of MQM in the debate while warning that opposing the resolution would amount to supporting the division of Sindh.

The party has been a major political force in Karachi with a significant vote bank in the city and has frequently criticized Shah’s provincial administration over its governance of Pakistan’s largest metropolis.

Taha Ahmed Khan, a senior MQM leader, acknowledged that his party had “presented its demand openly on television channels with clear and logical arguments” to separate Karachi from Sindh.

“It is a purely constitutional debate,” he told Arab News by phone. “We are aware that the Pakistan Peoples Party, which rules the province, holds a two-thirds majority and that a new province cannot be created at this stage. But that does not mean new provinces can never be formed.”

Calls to alter Karachi’s status have periodically surfaced amid longstanding complaints over governance, infrastructure and administrative control in the megacity, though no formal proposal to redraw provincial boundaries has been introduced at the federal level.