Russia yet to finalize stance before OPEC+ considers deeper oil cuts

Russia agreed to reduce output by 228,000 barrels per day (bpd) to about 11.18 million bpd in 2019 as part of cuts agreed by the group known as OPEC+. (AFP)
Updated 03 December 2019

Russia yet to finalize stance before OPEC+ considers deeper oil cuts

  • Russia agreed to reduce output by 228,000 barrels per day to about 11.18 million bpd in 2019
  • But it pumped more than its quota in November, producing 11.244 million bpd

MOSCOW: Russian Energy Minister Alexander Novak said on Tuesday he expected this week’s meeting of OPEC oil producers and their allies to be constructive but said Moscow had yet to finalize its position in talks on possible additional supply curbs.
Russia agreed to reduce output by 228,000 barrels per day (bpd) to about 11.18 million bpd in 2019 as part of cuts agreed by the group known as OPEC+. But it pumped more than its quota in November, producing 11.244 million bpd.
The Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries, Russia and other producers, which previously agreed to reduce combined output by 1.2 million bpd or 1.2 percent of global demand until March, hold discussions in Vienna on Thursday and Friday.
“I will not tell you anything now as we are still finalizing our position,” Novak told reporters. “Let’s wait ... But I think the meeting, as usual, will be of constructive nature.”
Two sources said on Monday that OPEC+ was discussing cutting output by at least an additional 400,000 bpd, as Riyadh seeks high oil prices to balance its budget and help Thursday’s pricing for Saudi Aramco’s initial public offering (IPO). The Saudis have been lobbying others to deepen cuts.
Novak said Russia’s average cut was 195,000 bpd in November and said Moscow aimed to comply fully with the quota in December.
Russia earlier called for a change to the way its output is measured to exclude gas condensate, which accounts for about 7 percent-8 percent of Russia’s total oil production, or about 800,000 bpd.
Novak told reporters he planned to discuss excluding condensate from Moscow’s quotas at the OPEC+ meeting.
By excluding condensate and only taking into account oil production, Novak said Russia’s output could be about 225,000 bpd to 230,000 bpd less in December.
“That said, we will discuss with our colleagues to take into account our statistics the same way as for OPEC countries — excluding condensate,” the minister said.
Vagit Alekperov, chief executive of Russia’s No.2 oil producer Lukoil, said in comments broadcast on Tuesday that it would not be expedient to deepen global oil production cuts in the winter season, especially for Russia.
Russian data cites production in tons. Reuters uses a conversion rate of 7.33 barrels per ton of oil.


Apple, Google drop Fortnite from app stores over payments

Updated 14 August 2020

Apple, Google drop Fortnite from app stores over payments

  • Google said Fortnite will remain available on Android, just not through its app store
  • Apple and Google both take a 30% cut from in-app revenue purchases in games

NEW YORK: Apple and Google dropped the popular game Fortnite from their app stores after the game’s developer introduced a direct payment plan that bypasses their platforms.
Apple and Google both take a 30% cut from in-app revenue purchases in games, which has long been a sore spot with developers.
Fortnite is free, but users can pay for in game accoutrements like weapons and skins. Its developer, Epic Games, said in a blog post Thursday that it was introducing Epic Direct payments, a direct payment plan for Apple’s iOS and Google Play. Epic said the system is the same payment system it already uses to process payments on PC and Mac computers and Android phones.
Apple and Google said the service violates their guidelines.
“Epic enabled a feature in its app which was not reviewed or approved by Apple, and they did so with the express intent of violating the App Store guidelines regarding in-app payments that apply to every developer who sells digital goods or services,” Apple said in statement.
Google said Fortnite will remain available on Android, just not through its app store. Android users can download the app from other app stores, although that’s generally not an option for iPhone users.
Epic Games did not immediately return a request for comment. Epic’s Fortnite Twitter account said the company would debut a new short film called “Nineteen Eighty-Fortnite,” a seeming parody of Apple’s iconic “1984” commercial that introduced the Macintosh computer. It has also filed a complaint against Apple in the US District Court in Northern California for dropping Fortnite.