Palestinians cancel football final after Israel denies Gaza team travel

1 / 4
Palestinian players of Gaza football club Khadamat Rafah take part in a training session in Rafah in the southern Gaza Strip September 24, 2019. Picture taken September 24, 2019. (Reuters)
2 / 4
Palestinian players of Gaza football club Khadamat Rafah take off their boots after a training session in Rafah in the southern Gaza Strip September 24, 2019. Picture taken September 24, 2019. (Reuters)
3 / 4
A Palestinian player of Gaza football club Khadamat Rafah rests after a training session in Rafah in the southern Gaza Strip September 24, 2019. Picture taken September 24, 2019. (Reuters)
4 / 4
A Palestinian coach of Gaza football club Khadamat Rafah gestures during a training session in Rafah in the southern Gaza Strip September 24, 2019. Picture taken September 24, 2019. (Reuters)
Updated 25 September 2019
Follow

Palestinians cancel football final after Israel denies Gaza team travel

  • Israel refused to let players from Gaza’s Khadamat Rafah club travel to play in the central West Bank

GAZA: The Palestinian national football club championship was called off on Wednesday after Israel denied travel permits to Gaza players who had hoped to face off with their opponents in the occupied West Bank.
Israel refused to let players from Gaza’s Khadamat Rafah club travel several dozen kilometers through its territory to play Nablus’s FC Balata in the central West Bank.
Israeli officials have not given a public explanation of the reasons. Some media reports have quoted Israeli security sources saying team members were believed to have links to terrorism.
Only 12 of the Gaza club’s 35 members were granted permits, just five of whom were players, the team said.
Wednesday’s FIFA-recognized Palestine Cup in the West Bank city of Nablus had already been postponed from July, when 31 of the Gaza club’s 35 players were denied permits, the team said.
The winner of Wednesday’s game between the Gaza and West Bank Cup holders would have represented Palestinians in the Asian Champions League, a qualifier for the FIFA Club World Cup.
“It’s a terrible feeling after training so hard,” said Ahmad Abu Thuhair, a Gaza footballer whose application was rejected.
An Israeli court on Monday upheld a decision from COGAT, Israel’s military liaison to the Palestinians, to deny the Gaza players permits.
“Each permit application received by COGAT is individually and thoroughly evaluated, pursuant to the criteria that are published on COGAT’s website and subject to security checks,” COGAT said in an email, without providing further details.
It referred additional questions to the Shin Bet Israeli domestic intelligence service, which did not respond to a request for comment.
Israel captured Gaza and the West Bank in 1967. It withdrew its settlers and troops from Gaza in 2005, and the enclave is now run by the Islamist armed group Hamas, which Israel and the West designate a terrorist organization. Citing security concerns, Israel maintains tight control over Gaza’s land and sea borders.
Hamas and Israel have fought three wars over the past decade, and several other heavy rounds of violence have broken out. The two million Palestinians in the narrow coastal enclave must request permits from Israel to travel to the West Bank.
Jibril Rajoub, head of the Palestinians’ FIFA member association, accused Israel of trying “to paralyze Palestinian players and even the (Palestinian) sport system in general.”
Gisha, an Israeli rights group which petitioned the Jerusalem District Court to challenge COGAT’s decision, said the case illustrates what it called Israel’s “separation policy,” which it says “violates Palestinians’ right to freedom of movement.”
Gisha and other rights groups say the restrictions drive a wedge between Palestinians in Gaza, the West Bank and East Jerusalem, which Palestinians seek to unite in a state.


Ton-up Farhan helps Pakistan seal Super Eight spot with Namibia rout

Updated 19 February 2026
Follow

Ton-up Farhan helps Pakistan seal Super Eight spot with Namibia rout

  • It was Farhan’s maiden T20 ton and he became only the second Pakistani to score a T20 World Cup century after Ahmed Shehzad in 2014 against Bangladesh

COLOMBO: Sahibzada Farhan hit a magnificent unbeaten century to help Pakistan seal the final Super Eight berth at the T20 World Cup with a thumping 102-run win over Namibia in Colombo on Wednesday.

Farhan scored 100 not out off 58 balls with four sixes and 10 fours as Pakistan posted 199-3 before they routed Namibia for 97 in 17.3 overs.

Pakistan’s victory took them to six points from four games in Group A and eliminated the United States, who finished with four points.

India also have six points and play the Netherlands in the group’s final game later Wednesday.

The defending champions India, South Africa, Zimbabwe and the West Indies will play each other in the Super eights Group 1, hosted in India.

Pakistan join New Zealand, England and co-hosts Sri Lanka in Group 2, hosted in Sri Lanka.

After a morale-shattering 61-run defeat against India, Pakistan needed a victory to avoid an early exit, which was achieved with ease as spinners Usman Tariq (4-16) and Shadab Khan (3-19) tore through the Namibia batting.

Louren Steenkamp scored 23 while Alexander Busing-Volschenk was the only other batsman to reach double figures with 20.

‘Complete performance’ 

Skipper Salman Agha praised a clinical show.

“It is a complete performance,” said a relieved Agha.

“We batted well and Farhan anchored the innings. He has been batting well for a while and I am happy that he got his hundred.

“With the ball we were lethal.”

Namibian skipper Gerhard Erasmus admitted Pakistan’s spin bowlers were too hot to handle.

“It (spin) is a special skill to have, to turn the ball both ways like they do,” said Erasmus.

“I think that’s one of the things we’ll definitely take home and look to improve on.”

Farhan earlier blasted a six and a four off pace bowler Jack Brassell to enter the 90s before taking a single off Gerhard Erasmus to complete his hundred in the final over.

It was Farhan’s maiden T20 ton and he became only the second Pakistani to score a T20 World Cup century after Ahmed Shehzad in 2014 against Bangladesh.

Shadab Khan, promoted to No. 5 with Babar Azam left out, hit three sixes and a four in his 36 not out off 22 balls as Pakistan smashed 42 from the last three overs.

Farhan put on 40 for the opening wicket with Saim Ayub (14) before consolidating the innings during a 67-run second wicket stand with captain Salman Agha (38).

Pakistan also left out pace bowler Shaheen Shah Afridi after a poor show in the first three matches, including conceding 31 in two overs in the defeat against India on Sunday.

Farhan’s ton means this is the first T20 World Cup in which three centuries have been scored.

He followed Sri Lanka’s Pathum Nissanka, who scored a hundred against Australia on Monday, and Canada’s Yuvraj Sama who reached three figures against New Zealand on Tuesday.