Australia blocks websites hosting Christchurch attack videos

An Australian national live-streamed the killing of 51 worshippers at two New Zealand mosques in March. (File/AFP)
Updated 09 September 2019

Australia blocks websites hosting Christchurch attack videos

  • Internet providers had already blocked all eight websites voluntarily before the order, but welcomed the legal clarity provided by the government
  • A new 24/7 Crisis Coordination Center is also being set up, tasked with monitoring terror-related incidents and extremely violent events for censorship

SYDNEY: Australia ordered Internet providers on Monday to block eight websites that published content linked to the Christchurch mosque massacre — a first under new censorship rules.
After the alleged gunman, an Australian national, live-streamed the killing of 51 worshippers at two New Zealand mosques in March, Canberra has looked to expand its censorship powers.
The overseas websites were blacklisted because they “continue to provide access to the video of the Christchurch terrorist attacks or the manifesto of the alleged perpetrator,” said Julie Inman Grant, Australia’s eSafety commissioner.
Authorities refused to name the websites — which will be blocked for at least six months — saying it could bring them more traffic.
Several other websites were asked to take down content and had complied, Inman Grant added.
“The remaining rogue websites need only to remove the illegal content to have the block against them lifted,” she said.
One of the eight websites was a blog focusing on the so-called “Threat of Islam,” according to an explanatory statement lodged with the Federal Register of Legislation.
The Communication Alliance — a telecommunications lobby group — said Internet providers had already blocked all eight websites voluntarily before the order, but welcomed the legal clarity provided by the government decision.
In defense of the new censorship powers put into action by Australia’s conservative government, Prime Minister Scott Morrison said last month: “That type of abhorrent material has no place in Australia.”
“We are doing everything we can to deny terrorists the opportunity to glorify their crimes, including taking action locally and globally.”
A new 24/7 Crisis Coordination Center is also being set up, tasked with monitoring terror-related incidents and extremely violent events for censorship.


Legendary Japanese Mangaka Go Nagai adds master strokes to Arab News Japan

Updated 18 October 2019

Legendary Japanese Mangaka Go Nagai adds master strokes to Arab News Japan

  • Creator of world-famous anime series Grendizer and Mazinger Z looks forward to visiting Saudi Arabia in the near future
  • In honor of Arab fans, Nagai has personally hand-drawn masthead of upcoming Arab News Japan edition

TOKYO: Go Nagai, the internationally-renowned Japanese artist known for legendary anime creations such as “Grendizer” and “Mazinger Z” is looking forward to visiting Saudi Arabia and meeting Arab fans.

In an exclusive interview for the upcoming Japanese edition of Arab News, Nagai thanked his Saudi fans for their appreciation of his works, such as the “UFO Robot Grendizer” animated TV series.

“I really appreciate that people in Saudi Arabia love Grendizer I created. I hope you will continue enjoying my work in the future,” he told Arab News.

Nagai also expressed a desire to visit Saudi Arabia in the near future.

“I’m sure I will be surprised by many things when I visit Saudi Arabia," he said. “Each country has a long history and a rich culture, so when I go to Saudi Arabia I would like to enjoy the culture and history and absorb something new as well.”

Go Nagai is also a prolific author of science fiction, fantasy, and horror. The full Go Nagai interview will run in Arab News Japan in both English and Japanese next week. In honor of his Arab fans, Nagai has also personally hand-drawn the masthead of the upcoming Arab News Japan edition.

Arab News Japan will launch in Tokyo at a special event held at the Foreign Correspondents Club of Japan (FCCJ) on Oct. 21, a day before the highly anticipated enthronement ceremony of Emperor Naruhito.

The launch of a dual Japanese-language online edition is a part of the ongoing global expansion plan of Arab News, the Middle East’s leading English language daily.

Arab News Japan is the second international edition under the Arab News brand, following the highly successful launch of its Pakistani edition in February 2018.

Faisal J. Abbas, Arab News Editor-in-Chief, announced the Arab News Japan project at the G1 Global conference in Tokyo on Sept. 16.

“We hope that our new service arabnews.jp helps bring a better mutual understanding of both our rich cultures and become a trusted communication channel where our friends in Japan can rely on us for credible information and insightful analysis,” Abbas said on the occasion.

Arab News is part of the regional publishing group Saudi Research and Marketing Group (SRMG). It has been the English language newspaper of record for Saudi Arabia and the region for more than 40 years.