SRINAGAR: For the thousands of residents of the Kashmir valley, the eerie quiet is a forewarning of the silence before the storm.
With the Indian government’s unprecedented curfew and complete shutdown of communication network entering its fourth week, there’s a wave of simmering anger that seems to have overtaken Indian-administered Kashmir and is reflected on the walls and along streets of the valley.
“People are imprisoned at home... Deprived of news. Everything, including cable TV, is shut down. We are not aware of what is happening in the outside world,” Shahid, a Kashmiri trader told Arab News.
Residents of the valley were confined to their homes after Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s government abrogated the Article 370 and 35A of India’s constitution – both of which accorded a special status and autonomy to Jammu and Kashmir.
The decision resulted in a deep sense of betrayal for the people of Kashmir, with several saying they already felt alienated in one of the world’s highest militarized zones.
“Since there is a widespread curfew in place in Kashmir that’s why people’s anger is not surfacing. Once the curfew is lifted people will react very aggressively,” Mohsin, a Kashmiri businessman said.
Arab News took to the streets of Srinagar throughout the last few weeks of August to speak to residents and understand what it takes to be under involuntary house arrest.
Watch this video which explains why the residents of the valley remain in a state of self-declared disobedience against the government even as Indian authorities relaxed the curfew in certain pockets of the city and ordered local administration to reopen schools.
Kashmiris lie low as deafening silence warns of the storm ahead
Kashmiris lie low as deafening silence warns of the storm ahead
- Residents of the valley say they will defy the ‘annexation by India’
- Several said they felt a deep sense of betrayal and are living in a state of self-declared disobedience
Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson
- Shaheen Shah Afridi was left out after conceding 101 runs in three matches
- Pakistan will now face New Zealand in the opening match of the second phase
COLOMBO: Batting great Babar Azam was dropped for Pakistan’s final T20 World Cup group game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, said head coach Mike Hesson on Friday.
Azam, who is the highest run-scorer in T20 international history with 4,571 runs, was left out for the must-win game against Namibia as Pakistan racked up 199-3 and secured a place in the Super Eights by 102 runs.
The 2009 champions face New Zealand in Colombo on Saturday in the opening match of the second phase.
“I think Babar is well aware that his strike rate in the power play in the World Cup is less than 100 and that’s clearly not the role we think we need,” Hesson told reporters after Pakistan’s final practice session on Friday was washed out by rain.
Pakistan left out Azam for the same reason at last year’s Asia Cup and even after dismal showing in the Big Bash League, he was still selected for the T20 World Cup.
“We brought Babar back in for a specific role post the Asia Cup,” said Hesson.
“We’ve got plenty of other options who can come in and perform that role toward the end.
“Babar is actually the first to acknowledge that.
“He knows that he’s got a certain set of skills that the team requires and there are certain times where other players can perform that role more efficiently.”
Hesson also defended dropping pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi after he conceded 101 runs in three matches, including 31 in two overs against India.
“We made a call that Salman Mirza was coming in for Shaheen, and he bowled incredibly well,” said Hesson.
“To be fair, he was probably really unlucky to not be playing the second and third games.”
Hesson was wary of Pakistan’s opponents on Saturday.
“New Zealand have played a huge amount in the subcontinent in recent times so we have to play at our best.”










