Trump, Erdogan speak over telephone about trade and Syria situation

US President Donald Trump and Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan spoke by phone on Wednesday on a range of issues, including trade and the situation in Syria's Idlib. (AFP/File Photos)
Updated 29 August 2019
Follow

Trump, Erdogan speak over telephone about trade and Syria situation

  • Turkey’s Anadolu news agency reported the call on Wednesday
  • White House confirmed trade and Idlib situation were discussed

WASHINGTON: US President Donald Trump and Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan spoke by phone on Wednesday on a range of issues, including trade and the humanitarian situation in Idlib, Syria, the White House said on Thursday.

Turkey’s Anadolu news agency reported the call on Wednesday, saying the two leaders agreed to cooperate to protect civilians in the Idlib region after jets believed to be Syrian or Russian struck a rebel-held city in northwest Syria.

On Thursday, Erdogan vowed Turkey would not allow the US to delay the establishment of a 'safe zone' in northern Syria.

Ankara and Washington earlier this month agreed after difficult talks to set up a buffer zone between the Turkish border and Syrian areas controlled by the US-backed Kurdish YPG militia.

The NATO allies agreed to set up a joint operations centre which Turkey said at the weekend was at full capacity.

"We will never allow a delay similar to that in Manbij. The process should advance swiftly," Erdogan said, according to CNN Turk broadcaster.

Turkey and the US in May last year agreed a road map including the withdrawal of the Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG) from Manbij in northern Syria.


Sudan’s RSF says it took town on Chad border

Updated 11 sec ago
Follow

Sudan’s RSF says it took town on Chad border

  • RSF shared a video of some of its fighters celebrating under a banner reading “District of Al-Tina“
  • Since the fall of El-Fasher, the paramilitaries have carried out several operations near the Chad border

KHARTOUM: Sudan’s paramilitary Rapid Support Forces, locked in a conflict with the regular army, said Saturday that they had seized the town of Al-Tina on the Chad border.
Previously, the town was thought to have been held by the Joint Forces, allied to the army, which has been at war with the RSF since April 2023.
Alongside a statement posted to social media, the RSF shared a video of some of its fighters celebrating under a banner reading “District of Al-Tina.”
The army did not immediately comment, but the pro-army governor of Darfur, Minni Minnawi, denounced what he called “repeated criminal behavior embodying the worst offenses against the innocent.”
Since it broke out, Sudan’s civil war has killed tens of thousands of people and forced 11 million to flee their homes, triggering what the UN says is one of the world’s worst humanitarian crises.
On Thursday, the United Nations’ independent fact-finding mission on Sudan said the RSF’s storming of Darfur hub El-Fasher last October bore “the hallmarks of genocide.”
Since the fall of El-Fasher, the paramilitaries have carried out several operations near the Chad border and at the end of last year two Chadian soldiers were killed.