Yemeni human rights NGO: Houthis commit 2726 violations in Sanaa

Houthi militants forced 401 families to flee their homes and villages. (File/AFP)
Updated 23 August 2019
Follow

Yemeni human rights NGO: Houthis commit 2726 violations in Sanaa

  • The militants forced 162 children to join their ranks
  • Shohood organization asked the international community to end Houthi violations

DUBAI: Houthi militants committed 2,726 human rights violations across Sanaa during the first half of 2019, Saudi state news agency SPA reported on Friday.

The report which was released by “Shohood,” an organization for human rights in Yemen, stated that 19 people were killed, 29 injured, 226 abducted and 110 tortured in the specified time period.

It added that 162 children under the legal age were forcefully recruited into the Houthi military.

The reported added that were also 238 cases of intimidation committed against women and children during house breaks.

The militants also displaced 401 families and forced the migration of 388 individuals from their homes and villages.

Houthis committed 1,113 offences against property, including house break-ins, the theft of land and burglary from shops and businesses.

The militia also committed 724 group punishments by creating several checkpoints and military training bases near civilian areas.

The organization called for the international community to take quick measures to end the Houthi violations.


Landmine explosion in Sudan kills 9, including 3 children

Updated 3 sec ago
Follow

Landmine explosion in Sudan kills 9, including 3 children

KHARTOUM: A land mine explosion killed nine people in Sudan on Sunday, including three children, as they were riding in an auto-rickshaw along a road in the frontline region of Kordofan, a medical source told AFP.
The war between the regular army and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF), which began in April 2023, has left Sudan strewn with mines and unexploded ordnance, though the explosive that caused Sunday’s deaths could also have dated back to previous rebellions that have shaken South Kordofan state since 2011.
“Nine people, three of them children, were killed by a mine explosion while they were in a tuk-tuk,” a medical source at Al-Abbasiya hospital said.
The vehicle was reduced to “a metal carcass,” witness Abdelbagi Issa told AFP by phone.
“We were walking behind the tuk-tuk along the road to the market when we heard the sound of an explosion,” he said. “People fell to the ground and the tuk-tuk was destroyed.”
Kordofan has become the center of fighting in the nearly three-year war ever since the RSF forced the army out of its last foothold in the neighboring Darfur region late last year.
Since it broke out, Sudan’s civil war has killed tens of thousands of people and forced 11 million to flee their homes, triggering a dire humanitarian crisis.
It has also effectively split the country in two, with the army holding the north, center and east while the RSF and its allies control the west and parts of the south.