Three dead after Eid Al-Adha gun ambush in Philippines

Filipino Muslims gather to celebrate Eid Al-Adha at the Luneta Park in Manila on August 11, 2019. (AFP)
Updated 13 August 2019
Follow

Three dead after Eid Al-Adha gun ambush in Philippines

  • Toddler, two soldiers killed in attack
  • Military condemn 'deceitful, inhumane act'

MANILA: A toddler and two soldiers were killed in the southern Philippines after gunmen ambushed a village on Eid Al-Adha, the military said Tuesday.

Fighters suspected to belong to the Abu Sayyaf militant group struck on Monday morning in the island province of Sulu as Muslims celebrated Eid. 

An elite army trooper and a government militiaman, identified as PFC Joie Halasan of the 2nd Special Forces Battalion and CAFGU Active Auxiliary (CAA) Aldazier Hassan from the 1st Sulu CAA Company, were reported to have died instantly from multiple wounds.  

Sisters Salma Abdukalim Sahisa, two, and 11-year-old Darna Abdukalim Sahisa were also hit by bullets.

“It was a populated area and the two children were playing on the roadside when the ambush transpired,” said Army Maj. Arvin Encinas, a spokesman for Western Mindanao Command (WestMinCom).

The siblings were hospitalized in Jolo, where soldiers were dispatched to donate blood for their operations.

Salma died that afternoon and Darna remains in critical condition.

WestMinCom Commander Lt. Gen. Cirilito Sobejana condemned the gunmen, saying they had perpetrated a “deceitful and inhumane act” that did not represent Islam. 

“We would like to extend our sympathies to the bereaved families. Rest assured all sorts of assistance will be provided,” he said.

Abu Sayyaf is notorious for deadly bombings, ransom kidnappings and beheadings. It has pledged allegiance to Daesh and been blacklisted by Washington and Manila.

Joint Task Force Sulu Commander Maj. Gen. Corleto Vinluan Jr. said the Eid attack was a “desperate move” and accused the group of trying to sow fear among people.

Earlier this year Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte ordered the military to crush Abu Sayyaf and other militant groups on the island of Mindanao after twin bombings during a church service in January killed at least 21 and wounded more than 100. 

The Jan. 27 attacks on Jolo were one of the deadliest in recent years in a region plagued by decades of instability.


Trump to remove Vietnam from restricted tech list: Hanoi

Updated 57 min 39 sec ago
Follow

Trump to remove Vietnam from restricted tech list: Hanoi

  • The two leaders met in person for the first time at the White House on Friday, after Lam attended the inaugural meeting of Trump’s “Board of Peace” in Washington

HANOI: US President Donald Trump told Vietnam’s top leader To Lam he would “instruct the relevant agencies” to remove the country from a list restricted from accessing advanced US technologies, Vietnam’s government announced Saturday.
The two leaders met in person for the first time at the White House on Friday, after Lam attended the inaugural meeting of Trump’s “Board of Peace” in Washington.
“Donald Trump said he would instruct the relevant agencies to soon remove Vietnam from the strategic export control list,” Hanoi’s Government News website said.
The two countries were locked in protracted trade negotiations when the US Supreme Court ruled many of Trump’s sweeping tariffs were illegal.
Three Vietnamese airlines announced nearly $37 billion in purchases this week, in a series of contracts signed with US aerospace companies.
Fledgling airline Sun PhuQuoc Airways placed an order for 40 of Boeing’s 787 Dreamliners, a long-haul aircraft, with an estimated total value of $22.5 billion, while national carrier Vietnam Airlines placed an $8.1 billion order for around 50 Boeing 737-8 aircraft.
When Trump announced his “Liberation Day” tariffs in April, Vietnam had the third-largest trade surplus with the US of any country after China and Mexico, and was targeted with one of the highest rates in Trump’s tariff blitz.
But in July, Hanoi secured a minimum 20 percent tariff with Washington, down from more than 40 percent, in return for opening its market to US products including cars.
Trump signed off on a global 10-percent tariff on Friday on all countries hours after the Supreme Court ruled many of his levies on imports were illegal.