Suicide blast at Kabul military academy kills six

Afghan security personnel and firefighters clean the site of a suicide attack near the Marshal Fahim Military Academy base in Kabul on May 30, 2019. (AFP / THOMAS WATKINS)
Updated 30 May 2019
Follow

Suicide blast at Kabul military academy kills six

  • The explosion occurred as cadets were leaving the academy
  • The attacker detonated his explosives after being prevented from entering the Marshal Fahim National Defense University

KABUL: A suicide attack outside Kabul’s main military academy killed at least six people on Thursday.

The suicide bomber struck as cadets were leaving Fahim Military Academy to travel home for the weekend.

Witnesses said the attacker was seen driving a vehicle laden with explosives.

The blast shattered windows in houses several block away.

“The explosion was very powerful,” Aref Shah, 34, a nearby resident, told Arab News by phone.

Police who cordoned off the site said that as well the six fatalities, at least six other people were wounded.

One police source put the toll at 15, but it was not immediately clear how many of the victims were cadets.

The sprawling academy lies close to a residential area on a hill in the western part of Kabul.

Both Taliban and Daesh affiliates have struck outside the academy in recent years. In one incident militants stormed the compound after climbing through one of its walls. A US general was also killed by a Taliban infiltrator inside the compound.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility for Thursday’s explosion, which comes amid escalating attacks by the Taliban around the country in recent months, including Ramadan.

Some reports said that at least 20 government troops were killed in two different strikes by militants in the past 24 hours.

The surge of attacks comes as Afghan politicians, including former President Hamid Karzai, and Taliban delegates ended a second round of meetings on Thursday in Moscow. Due to the Taliban’s objection, no representative of President Ashraf Ghani’s government took part in the talks.

In a joint statement, the two sides said they discussed the need for “stable peace, a continuation of intra-Afghan dialogue, establishment of a truce, the withdrawal of foreign troops and cessation of foreign interference, as well as consolidation of an Islamic government.”


Five miners trapped deep underground after mudslide hits South African diamond mine

Updated 4 sec ago
Follow

Five miners trapped deep underground after mudslide hits South African diamond mine

  • The miners have been trapped since the early hours of Tuesday, according to a labor alliance
  • The mine is in the central city of Kimberley, which is renowned for its diamond mines
JOHANNESBURG: Five miners were trapped deep underground at a South African diamond mine after a mudslide flooded a shaft they were working in, mine officials and a labor union said Thursday.
The miners have been trapped since the early hours of Tuesday, according to the Congress of South African Trade Unions — an alliance of labor unions that includes the main mineworkers union. The congress said the miners were thought to be trapped around 800 meters (half a mile) underground.
Ekapa Mining General Manager Howard Marsden, whose company operates the mine, told national broadcaster SABC on Wednesday that rescuers were pumping water out of the shaft while a separate team was trying to drill a hole to where the miners were believed to be trapped to try to establish communication with them “or any proof of life.”
The mine is in the central city of Kimberley, which is renowned for its diamond mines and was at the heart of the global industry after diamonds were discovered in the area in the late 1800s.
The Minerals Council of South Africa said this month in its annual safety report that 41 miners died in mining accidents in South Africa last year, a record low and down from hundreds a year in the 1990s and early 2000s.
South Africa is among the world’s biggest producers of diamonds and gold, and the top producer of platinum.