Iran infighting ‘deadly poison’ for foreign policy: Zarif

Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif stepped down on Monday, announcing his resignation on Instagram. (File photo/AFP)
Updated 26 February 2019
Follow

Iran infighting ‘deadly poison’ for foreign policy: Zarif

  • Mohammad Javad Zarif was the architect of Iran’s 2015 nuclear deal with world powers
  • He was appointed minister of foreign affairs in August 2013 after Rouhani won the presidency

GENEVA: Fighting between parties and factions in Iran is a “deadly poison” in formulating foreign policy, Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said in an interview published by the Jomhuri Eslami newspaper on Tuesday, a day after announcing his resignation.

Zarif’s comments suggest he may have resigned over pressure from hard-line elements opposed to his role in negotiating a landmark 2015 nuclear deal with world powers.

Although reports suggested his resignation had not yet been accepted.

“We first have to remove our foreign policy from the issue of party and factional fighting,” Zarif said in the interview.

“The deadly poison for foreign policy is for foreign policy to become an issue of party and factional fighting,” he added.

President Hassan Rouhani has not formally accepted the resignation which Zarif announced on Monday on Instagram.

Meanwhile, a majority of parliamentarians in Iran signed a letter to Rouhani asking that Zarif continue in his job, the Islamic Republic News Agency (IRNA) reported, quoting a member of parliament.

Ali Najafi Khoshroodi, spokesman for parliament’s National Security and Foreign Policy commission, told IRNA he had signed the letter and was collecting additional signatures.

Meanwhile Syrian President Bashar Assad thanked Iran’s Foreign Ministry during his visit to Tehran, Iranian President Hassan Rouhani said on Tuesday.

But confirmed media reports on Monday suggested that Zarif might have resigned over Assad’s visit to Tehran.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

A post shared by Javad Zarif (@jzarif_ir) on


First Ramadan Friday prayers held at Jerusalem’s Al-Aqsa mosque since ceasefire

Updated 45 min 58 sec ago
Follow

First Ramadan Friday prayers held at Jerusalem’s Al-Aqsa mosque since ceasefire

  • But Israel restricted the number of Palestinians allowed to enter Israel from the West Bank to 10,000 on Friday

TEL AVIV, Israel: Tens of thousands of Muslims gathered under heavy security at the Al-Aqsa Mosque compound in Jerusalem for the first Friday prayers of the holy month of Ramadan, among them Palestinians who crossed into Israel from the West Bank.

The prayers at Al-Aqsa took place for the first time since a shaky ceasefire deal between Israel and Hamas went into effect in October. It was the first opportunity many had to leave the West Bank and pray at the site in Jerusalem’s Old City since Ramadan last year.

But Israel restricted the number of Palestinians allowed to enter Israel from the West Bank to 10,000 on Friday, and only allowed men over 55 and women over 50 as well as children up to 12. It has imposed similar restrictions in the past due to security concerns.

The area, which Jews call the Temple Mount, is the holiest site in Judaism and was home to the ancient biblical temples. Muslims call the site the Noble Sanctuary. Today it is home to the Al-Aqsa Mosque, the third-holiest site in Islam.

It has frequently been a flashpoint in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

Israeli police said more than 3,000 police officers were deployed across Jerusalem. They said their presence was not meant to show aggression or force but was aimed at providing help in case of an emergency.

Jerusalem’s Islamic Waqf, the Jordanian religious authority that administers the compound, said there were 80,000 in attendance. In normal times, Ramadan Friday prayers at Al-Aqsa can draw up to 200,000.

Ezaldeen Mustafah, a Palestinian from the West Bank, was among those lamenting the restrictions.

“We need more people than this,” Mustafah said.

Ramadan in Gaza

Many Palestinians said the month’s typically festive spirit is eluding them as they struggle with grief and losses following the two-year conflict in Gaza.

“Previously, there were mosques, but today all the mosques have been bombed,” said Ramiz Firwana, a Gaza resident who gathered with other worshippers for a Friday sermon and prayers held in schoolyard.

On Thursday evening, families sat amid the rubble and destruction for Iftar, the fast-breaking meal.

“Despite the displacement, the pain, and the destruction, we want to rejoice and live,” said Mohammad Kollab, from Khan Younis. “We are a people who want to live, we are not a people destined only for destruction and killing,” he said.

Israel’s military offensive has killed more than 72,000 Palestinians, according to Gaza’s Health Ministry, and caused widespread destruction and displaced most of the territory’s residents. Israel launched the offensive after Hamas-led militants killed some 1,200 people, mostly civilians, and took another 251 hostage in their attack on Oct. 7, 2023.

The Oct. 10 US-brokered ceasefire deal attempted to halt more than two years of war between Israel and Hamas. While the heaviest fighting has subsided, the ceasefire has seen almost daily Israeli fire.