Texas wife sought divorce before she, 4 others were killed

US police have yet to identify the person who killed a couple and three of their relatives inside a home in eastern Texas on February 11, 2019 (Shutterstock image)
Updated 14 February 2019

Texas wife sought divorce before she, 4 others were killed

  • Court records show that Horn petitioned to divorce her husband on Oct. 15, 2018 while they were living in Splendora, Texas

BLANCHARD, Texas: An East Texas woman who was shot dead along with her husband and three other family members sought a divorce last year.
Ashley Raileen Horn filed to divorcee Randy Joe Horn in October of 2018, according to Montgomery County court records. The case was dismissed less than a month later.
Beyond the request for divorce, the slim court file offers few clues about what lay between the 27-year-old woman and 54-year-old man who were found dead along with Ashley’s grandparents, Carlos and Lynda Delaney, and a 15-month-old girl in the elder couple’s home about 75 miles (120 kilometers) northeast of Houston.
On Monday, the Polk County Sheriff’s office launched an investigation into the killings after a neighbor came upon across three bodies outside the Blanchard house and told her son to call police. After arriving, deputies found two more people dead inside.
Sheriff’s Capt. Rickie Childers declined to comment on the divorce filing Wednesday, saying that more information would not be released until medical examiner’s reports come back.
Sheriff’s officials have said no suspects are being sought in the case but have declined to characterize the shootings as homicides and a suicide. They have also identified Ashley by her maiden name, Delaney.
Court records show that Horn petitioned to divorce her husband on Oct. 15, 2018 while they were living in Splendora, Texas. The case was dismissed without prejudice in early November after she filed paperwork to withdraw. The court records do not make clear what motivated either filing.
Sheriff’s officials have also declined to discuss any suspected motive for the killings.


Victims of London Bridge attack discharged from hospital

Updated 29 min 25 sec ago

Victims of London Bridge attack discharged from hospital

  • “Our thoughts remain with the families and friends of those who sadly lost their lives and all those who have been impacted,” Dr. Vin Diwakar said
  • The court ruled that the joint enterprise law had been misinterpreted

LONDON: Three people injured in the London Bridge attack have been sent home after receiving medical treatment as more details emerged on the stabbings.
Dr. Vin Diwakar, medical director for the National Health Service in London, said Friday that the victims of the attack were recovering and that the last patient had been discharged.
“Our thoughts remain with the families and friends of those who sadly lost their lives and all those who have been impacted,” he said.
Usman Khan stabbed two people to death and injured three others on Nov. 29 before being shot and killed by police on the bridge. Khan had been attending a conference on prisoner rehabilitation when he attacked Cambridge University graduates Saskia Jones, 23 and Jack Merritt, 25.
As the injured recovered, some of those who subdued him began to speak out. John Crilly, a former prisoner who used a fire extinguisher to corner Khan together with other bystanders, lamented Merritt’s death in a Facebook post, describing him as the “the best guy I ever met.”
“(Jack) was killed by a ... a pathetic rubber dingy rapids type terrorist,” Crilly wrote. “Jack actually tried helping this guy! To educate him. As he educated me.”
Crilly’s conviction in the slaying of 71-year-old Augustine Maduemezia, was quashed by the Supreme Court last year. The court ruled that the joint enterprise law — in which defendants were prosecuted for murder even if they did not strike the fatal blow — had been misinterpreted.
The 48-year-old studied for an Open University law degree while in prison and graduated this year.
“I had a bad life, I’ve changed it, I wasn’t guilty of murder,” Crilly said after his release. “I totally accept what I did and it was wrong.”