BEIRUT: The US delivered laser-guided rockets valued at more than $16 million to the Lebanese military on Wednesday, demonstrating what it said was Washington’s “firm and steady commitment” to Lebanon’s army.
The US has supplied the Lebanese military with more than $2.3 billion in assistance since 2005, aiming to support it as “the sole, legitimate defender” of a country where the heavily armed, Iran-backed Hezbollah holds major sway.
A statement from the US embassy in Beirut said the missiles, delivered in a US military transport plane, were a key component for a previously supplied fleet of A-29 Super Tucano attack aircraft.
Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif, during a visit to Lebanon this week, reiterated his country’s long-standing offer of support to the Lebanese army but said Lebanon had first to show “a desire” to accept it.
The leader of Hezbollah, which is listed as a terrorist group by Washington, said last week he was ready to secure air defense systems for the Lebanese army from Iran and to bring it “everything it wants to be the strongest army in the region.”
Hezbollah’s Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah asked why Lebanon was “ignoring” Iran while “offering our necks to others” — an apparent reference to the United States, which has tightened sanctions against his group.
Hezbollah’s direct role in government has expanded in the new cabinet led by the Western-backed Prime Minister Saad Al-Hariri, assuming control of three portfolios including the health ministry, which has a major budget.
US delivers missiles to Lebanese army
US delivers missiles to Lebanese army
- The US has supplied the Lebanese military with more than $2.3 billion in assistance since 2005
- US aims to support Lebanon as “the sole, legitimate defender” of a country where armed Hezbollah holds major sway
Syrian government takes over Qamishli airport security in Hasaka
- Qamishli airport has been out of service for the past 15 years and was the only major airport under SDF control
- The Ministry of Interior is conducting the handover process to restore full state authority over vital facilities
LONDON: Syrian authorities have taken over security responsibilities at Qamishli airport in Hasaka Province, northeastern Syrian Arab Republic, as part of the implementation of the agreement between Damascus and the Syrian Democratic Forces.
The Ministry of Interior, represented by the Directorate of Airport and Border Security, is conducting the handover process on Sunday to restore full state authority over vital facilities and enhance security procedures at airports and border crossings, according to the Syrian Arab News Agency.
Qamishli airport has been out of service for the past 15 years and was the only major airport under SDF control.
In January, the Syrian army entered Hasakah and deployed throughout the Jazira region to secure it under an agreement between the Syrian government and the SDF.
Under the agreement, both the Syrian government and the SDF agreed to a ceasefire and a phased integration of military and administrative structures. It also includes deploying government security forces and transferring control of civil institutions and border areas to the state, the SANA added.









