Justin Rose, Sergio Garcia, Henrik Stenson all confirmed for Saudi International tournament

Former world No. 1 Justin Rose is part of a star-studded line-up for the upcoming Saudi International golf event, the first professional tournament in the Kingdom. (Getty Images)
Updated 18 December 2018

Justin Rose, Sergio Garcia, Henrik Stenson all confirmed for Saudi International tournament

LONDON: The field for the Saudi International next month was given a star-studded boost on Tuesday, when it was announced Justin Rose, Sergio Garcia, Henrik Stenson and Ian Poulter would all be competing in the tournament.
The inaugural event is featuring on the European Tour calendar for the first time and players will be competing for a $3.5 million purse at the Royal Greens Golf & Country Club.
The addition of the Ryder Cup stars comes after players such as Dustin Johnson, Patrick Reed and Thomas Bjorn were confirmed to be taking part.
The tournament field now boasts two of the world’s top three players, five Major winners and six players from this year’s Ryder Cup in Paris.
Rose, Garcia, Stenson and Poulter were all crucial parts of Team Europe winning back the Ryder Cup in September. The four players contributed ten points toward the team’s tally, with Sweden’s Stenson remaining unbeaten for the week and Garcia becoming the all-time record Ryder Cup points scorer.
After confirming his participation, 2016 Open winner Stenson said: “I’ve been lucky enough to play golf all over the world, but I’ve never been to Saudi Arabia.
“The course looks spectacular and I’ve heard a lot about the Kingdom’s plans to grow golf in the region and I’m excited to be a part of it,” he said.
Rose added: “I’ve heard a lot of positive things about Saudi Arabia and I’m delighted to see a new tournament added to the European Tour schedule.
“It’s an honor to be part of history and compete in the first professional tournament in the Kingdom.”


Rain causes fresh delay to England-Pakistan 2nd Test

Updated 15 August 2020

Rain causes fresh delay to England-Pakistan 2nd Test

  • Pakistan, 1-0 down in a three-match series, will resume on 223-9 in their first innings
  • Mohammad Rizwan is not out at 60

SOUTHAMPTON, United Kingdom: Rain meant there was no play before lunch on the third day of the second Test between England and Pakistan at Southampton on Saturday in a match already plagued by stoppages for bad weather.
Play should have resumed at 11:00 am local time (1000 GMT) but light rain meant the pitch and square remained fully covered, with the floodlights then on full beam.
Had the players been on the field, play may well have continued given the rain was only of the ‘spitting’ kind.
But, with no spectators present in a series being played behind closed doors because of the coronavirus, the floodlights were then switched off in a clear indication the umpires had decided there would not be any action before lunch.
Pakistan, 1-0 down in a three-match series, will resume on 223-9 in their first innings, after winning the toss, following a second day where only 40 overs’ play took place.
Mohammad Rizwan batted with huge skill and resolve in overcast, swing-friendly conditions, to be 60 not out.
In partnership with dogged tailender Mohammad Abbas (two off 20 balls), the wicketkeeper took Pakistan past 200 in a ninth-wicket after they had come together with the tourists struggling at 176-8.
This was Rizwan’s second fifty in eight career Tests following his 95 against Australia in Brisbane in November.
Pakistan were also indebted to opener Abid Ali (60) and Babar Azam (47) for painstaking innings when the conditions were stacked against the batsmen.
Meanwhile in-form paceman Stuart Broad became the first England bowler since off-spinner Graeme Swann 11 years ago to take at least three wickets in seven consecutive Test innings thanks to a return of 3-56 in 25 overs.
Broad has taken 25 wickets in four Test so far this season at a misery average of 12.88.
Victory in this match will see England secure their first series win over Pakistan since 2010.