Nissan hit by new inspection scandal after Ghosn arrest

Nissan plans to make an announcement on the case later this month and is considering recalling any vehicles improperly tested. (File/AP)
Updated 06 December 2018
Follow

Nissan hit by new inspection scandal after Ghosn arrest

  • The latest issue was uncovered after transport ministry officials conducted on-site inspections at Nissan’s major assembly plants
  • Several employees admitted they carried out “improper” tests on brake and other systems before shipment

TOKYO: Nissan plans to conduct another recall owing to “improper” tests on new vehicles, a newspaper said Thursday, dealing a fresh blow to the Japanese car giant following the shock arrest of former chairman Carlos Ghosn.
The latest issue was uncovered after transport ministry officials conducted on-site inspections at Nissan’s major assembly plants, the Nikkei business daily said.
Several employees admitted they carried out “improper” tests on brake and other systems before shipment, the newspaper said, without specifying how many cars were affected.
Nissan plans to make an announcement on the case later this month and is considering recalling any vehicles improperly tested, it added.
Immediate confirmation of the report was not available.
The manufacturer was forced to recall more than one million vehicles last year after admitting staff without proper authorization had conducted final inspections on some units intended for the domestic market before they were shipped to dealers.
In a separate case that erupted in July, Nissan admitted data on exhaust emissions and fuel economy had been deliberately “altered,” hampering its efforts to recover trust after the inspection scandal.
If confirmed, it would represent another blow to the company, which has been rocked since Ghosn was arrested on November 19 on allegations he under-reported his salary by millions of dollars over five years.
Ghosn denies any wrongdoing.
The ousted chairman is expected to face a further accusation of under-reporting his salary by about four billion yen ($35.5 million) over the past three years, Japanese media reported.


Closing Bell: Saudi main index closes in red at 10,947 

Updated 19 February 2026
Follow

Closing Bell: Saudi main index closes in red at 10,947 

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia’s Tadawul All Share Index dipped on Thursday, losing 208.20 points, or 1.87 percent, to close at 10,947.25. 

The total trading turnover of the benchmark index was SR4.80 billion ($1.28 billion), as 14 of the listed stocks advanced, while 253 retreated. 

The MSCI Tadawul Index decreased, down 25.35 points, or 1.69 percent, to close at 1,477.71. 

The Kingdom’s parallel market Nomu lost 217.90 points, or 0.92 percent, to close at 23,404.75. This came as 24 of the listed stocks advanced, while 43 retreated. 

The best-performing stock was Musharaka REIT Fund, with its share price up 2.12 percent to SR4.34. 

Other top performers included Al Hassan Ghazi Ibrahim Shaker Co., which saw its share price rise by 1.18 percent to SR17.20, and Saudi Industrial Export Co., which saw a 0.8 percent increase to SR2.51. 

On the downside, Abdullah Saad Mohammed Abo Moati for Bookstores Co. was among the day’s biggest decliners, with its share price falling 9.3 percent to SR39. 

National Medical Care Co. fell 8.98 percent to SR128.80, while National Co. for Learning and Education declined 6.35 percent to SR116.50. 

On the announcements front, Red Sea International said its subsidiary, the Fundamental Installation for Electric Work Co., has entered into a framework agreement with King Salman International Airport Development Co. 

In a Tadawul statement, the company noted that the agreement establishes the general terms and conditions for the execution of enabling works at the King Salman International Airport project in Riyadh.  

Under the 48-month contract, the scope of work includes the supply, installation, testing, and commissioning of all mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems.  

Utilizing a re-measurement model, specific work orders will be issued on a call-off basis, with the final contract value to be determined upon the completion and measurement of actual quantities executed.  

The financial impact of this collaboration is expected to begin reflecting on the company’s statements starting in the first quarter of 2026, the statement said. 

The company’s share price reached SR23.05, marking a 2.45 percent decrease on the main market.