FaceOf: Rania Nashar, CEO of Samba Financial Group

Updated 28 October 2018
Follow

FaceOf: Rania Nashar, CEO of Samba Financial Group

  • Rania Nashar is the first female chief executive of a listed Saudi commercial bank
  • She was among another six Saudi women on the Forbes Middle East’s Most Influential Women list this year

Rania Nashar has been CEO of Samba Financial Group since February 2017, leading Saudi Arabia’s third-largest financial institution. 

She is the first Saudi female to hold this position at Samba Financial Group and the first female chief executive of a listed Saudi commercial bank.

She has more than two decades of experience in the banking sector. Previously she was chief audit executive at Samba Financial Group for two years and five months, and head of compliance for five years and eight months, as well as holding other positions.

Nashar’s contribution to Samba Financial Group includes working on its merger with United Saudi Bank and overseeing the development of its digital services, as well as helping the bank’s transition to a fully Saudi institution after Citibank’s decision to withdraw its management agreement in 2003.

As head compliance officer, she led major projects including building a centralized regulatory compliance department and developing company-wide anti-money laundering strategies.

She was among another six Saudi women on the Forbes Middle East’s Most Influential Women list this year.

Nashar has a bachelor’s degree in computer science and information technology from King Saud University, Riyadh, and graduated in 1997.

Speaking at the Future Investment Initiative in Riyadh, she said: “We are embracing digitization and making it part of every business unit. Today customers are using mobiles and are comparing banks to tech-driven services – they want banking but they don’t want banks.”


Saudi Arabia condemns remarks by US ambassador to Israel on Middle East, calls for clarification

Updated 8 sec ago
Follow

Saudi Arabia condemns remarks by US ambassador to Israel on Middle East, calls for clarification

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia has strongly condemned remarks made by the US ambassador to Israel suggesting that Israeli control over the entire Middle East would be acceptable, describing the comments as reckless and a violation of international law.

US envoy to Israel Mike Huckabee said it would be acceptable if Israel took control of the entire Middle East, including the West Bank, on Saturday.

Huckabee suggested that he would not object if Israel were to take most of the Middle East.

In a statement, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said it “categorically denounced” the comments, rejecting what it described as irresponsible statements that contravene international law, the United Nations Charter and established diplomatic norms.

The ministry said the remarks represented a dangerous precedent, particularly as they came from a US official, and amounted to a disregard for relations between the US and countries across the region.

It warned that such positions carry grave consequences and threaten global peace and security by inciting hostility toward the peoples and states of the Middle East, while undermining the foundations of the international order based on respect for sovereignty and internationally recognised borders.

Saudi Arabia called on the US State Department to clarify its position on the remarks, stressing that the proposal was rejected by peace-loving nations around the world.

The Kingdom reaffirmed its firm opposition to any actions or statements that infringe on the sovereignty, borders or territorial integrity of states, reiterating that a just and comprehensive peace can only be achieved by ending the occupation and implementing a two-state solution.

That solution, the statement said, must include the establishment of an independent Palestinian state along the 1967 borders, with East Jerusalem as its capital.