Houthi gangs beat up young protesters in Yemeni capital

Houthi group arrested a number of people in Sanaa on Saturday, following demonstrations over economic hardship. (Reuters)
Updated 07 October 2018
Follow

Houthi gangs beat up young protesters in Yemeni capital

  • Women attacked with electric batons in demo over soaring prices
  • Prices in northern Yemen have soared since the Houthis ousted the internationally recognized government of Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi in a coup in 2014

ADEN/JEDDAH: Iran-backed Houthi militias in Yemen attacked and detained dozens of young people protesting on Saturday against plunging living standards and rising prices.

At least 55 students, 18 of them women, were arrested during the protests near Sanaa University.

One young woman said female Houthi supporters “attacked us with electric-shock batons and clubs, supported by armed men.

“They beat me until I fell to the ground and I received an electric shock in the back when I stood up again. I wasn’t able to move when they took me to the police station.”

The Houthis had admitted earlier that they would “beat and arrest” anyone taking part in demonstrations in the capital, after local activists called for a mass protest against inflation and food shortages.

The militias said on Saturday they had arrested a “number of people” in Sanaa for disturbing the peace. Those arrested were linked to pro-government forces and “were paid to spread rumors ... and destabilise security,” the Houthi-run Saba news agency said.

Prices in northern Yemen have soared since the Houthis ousted the internationally recognized government of Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi in a coup in 2014. A Saudi-led Arab coalition has been fighting since 2015 to restore it.

Some staple goods have become too expensive for many Yemenis, and the central bank has struggled to pay the public-sector salaries on which many depend as foreign exchange reserves dwindle.

Many Yemenis also rely on international aid, but some agencies — most recently UNICEF, the UN children’s fund — have suspended payments amid allegations that the Houthis are diverting funds to their own supporters while genuinely deserving cases remain destitute. 

Separately, the Foreign Ministry in Bahrain, part of the Saudi-led coalition, said the Houthis had shelled a camp for displaced people near the Red Sea port city of Hodeidah on Friday, “killing a woman and injuring a large number of civilians.”

(With Reuters)


US will prevent Iranian nuclear bomb ‘one way or the other’

Updated 16 sec ago
Follow

US will prevent Iranian nuclear bomb ‘one way or the other’

  • Implicit threat of miitary action but Tehran remains optimistic of deal

TEHRAN, PARIS: The US will prevent Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons “one way or the other,” US Energy Secretary Chris Wright warned on Wednesday.
US President Donald Trump “believes firmly we cannot have a nuclear-armed Iran,” Wright said as the International Energy Agency met in Paris. “They’ve been very clear about what they would do with nuclear weapons. It’s entirely unacceptable.
“So one way or the other, we are going to end, deter Iran’s march toward a nuclear weapon.”

Despite the implicit threat of military action, which Trump has said is not off the table amid a massive increase in US military forces in the region, Iranian officials remain optimistic that an agreement can be reached after talks in Geneva on Tuesday that Tehran described as “constructive.”

In a call with Rafael Grossi, head of the UN nuclear watchdog the International Atomic Energy Agency, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said Tehran said was drafting a framework for future talks with Washington. Iran’s focus was on drafting an initial and coherent framework to advance talks with the US, he said. However, US Vice President J.D. Vance said Tehran had not yet acknowledged all of Washington’s red lines.

Earlier on Wednesday Reza Najafi, Iran’s permanent representative to the UN nuclear agency in Vienna, met Grossi and the ambassadors of China and Russia “to exchange views” on the forthcoming session of the agency's board of governors and “developments related to Iran’s nuclear program,” Iran’s mission in Vienna said.

Tehran has suspended some cooperation with the agency and restricted the watchdog's inspectors from accessing sites bombed by Israel and the US during a 12-day war in June. It accuses the UN body of bias and of failing to condemn the strikes.