UK warns there will be no Brexit deal unless EU softens on Irish border

What the EU was asking in and around Northern Ireland was simply impossible for any UK government to accept, Britain’s Transport Secretary Chris Grayling said. (AFP)
Updated 21 September 2018
Follow

UK warns there will be no Brexit deal unless EU softens on Irish border

  • Britain is due to leave the EU on March 29, yet little is clear
  • Some rebels have vowed to vote against a possible Brexit deal

LONDON: Britain will leave the EU without a deal unless the bloc’s leaders soften their position on the Irish border, Transport Secretary Chris Grayling told the BBC.
EU leaders abruptly cautioned May on Thursday that unless she gave ground on trade and the Irish border by November they are ready to cope with Britain crashing out.
“At the moment what the European Union is asking in and around Northern Ireland is simply impossible for any UK government to accept. And actually, if they stick with that position, there will be no deal,” Grayling said.
“There’s tough language and actually a deal is done at the last. And I’m still confident that we will reach agreement,” he added.
Britain is due to leave the EU on March 29, yet little is clear: There is, so far, no divorce deal, rivals to May are circling and some rebels have vowed to vote against a possible Brexit deal.


Ukraine prosecutors say former energy minister is suspect in kickback case

Updated 2 sec ago
Follow

Ukraine prosecutors say former energy minister is suspect in kickback case

KYIV: A Ukrainian former energy minister has been detained as a ​suspect in a high-profile kickback case for crimes such as moneylaundering and participation in criminal activity, anti-graft prosecutors said on Monday, but did not name him.
Ukraine’s previous two energy ministers resigned amid fallout from the ‌so-called “Midas” case, ‌centered on an ​alleged $100-million ‌kickback ⁠scheme ​at the ⁠state atomic agency that ensnared senior officials and business elites, including a former associate of President Volodymyr Zelensky.
The scandal also claimed the job of Zelensky’s chief of staff, and ⁠all three have denied wrongdoing.
“We ‌are talking ‌about the former energy ​minister of Ukraine (2021 ‌to 2025),” special anti-graft prosecutors ‌said on the Telegram messaging app. “He is charged with money laundering and participation in a criminal organization.”
The former minister was detained ‌over the weekend while attempting to leave Ukraine, the prosecutors ⁠said.
“During ⁠the suspect’s tenure ... the criminal organization received more than $112 million in cash from illegal activities in the energy sector,” Ukraine’s National Anti-corruption Bureau said in a statement.
Materials obtained in Ukraine and through international cooperation with the competent authorities of a number of countries furnished the basis for ​its conclusion, ​the bureau added.