Sarfraz surprised but proud as Pakistan hammer England

Pakistan captain Sarfraz Ahmed. (AFP)
Updated 28 May 2018
Follow

Sarfraz surprised but proud as Pakistan hammer England

  • Mohammad Abbas led Pakistan's attack with an overall return of eight for 64, while four Pakistan batsmen hit fifties in a competitive first-innings 363
  • "I shout and scream at my players -- everything is right in front of you," he said

LONON: Pakistan captain Sarfraz Ahmed said he felt both surprised and proud after his inexperienced side outplayed England during a dominant nine-wicket win in the first Test at Lord's.
Victory, completed before lunch on the fourth day, put Pakistan 1-0 up in a two-match series ahead of the second Test at Headingley that starts on Friday.
Pakistan's batsmen and bowlers applied themselves to the demands of playing an early season Test in English conditions far more effectively than the home side.
They caught better too, with England dropping several chances.
Man-of-the-match Mohammad Abbas led Pakistan's attack with an overall return of eight for 64, while four Pakistan batsmen hit fifties in a competitive first-innings 363.
"Yes, I am very surprised," said Sarfraz.
"If you look at the England team they are very experienced but I am proud of my players."
Wicket-keeper Sarfraz led from the front in the field, holding an excellent diving catch to dismiss Dawid Malan on Saturday.
It was one example of the team's much sharper performance after their shoddy display during this month's five-wicket win over Test debutants Ireland in Dublin, with Sarfraz saying it was a "credit" to the work of Pakistan fielding coach Steve Rixon, the former Australia wicket-keeper.
"Ireland gave us a tough time and that helped us prepare for this Test," Sarfraz added.
"We thought that even if we lose we should learn."
As for Pakistan's batting, Sarfraz said: "The ball was moving, so no credit is enough for the batsmen."
Meanwhile, the modest Sarfraz, who led Pakistan to a brilliant victory over arch-rivals India in last year's Champions Trophy one-day final across London at The Oval, played down his captaincy skills.
"I don't have anything for self-analysis," he said. "I shout and scream at my players -- everything is right in front of you."
Sarfraz instead praised coach Mickey Arthur, who took charge two years ago and promptly guided Pakistan to a 2-2 draw in a four-Test series in England, for "taking the players along with him" -- something he had also tried to do as skipper.
Mohammad Amir has had both some of his best and worst days at Lord's, getting on the honours board in 2010 in a Test where he was involved in a spot-fixing scandal that saw the Pakistan paceman jailed and banned from cricket for five years.
He returned to help beat England at Lord's two years ago and was involved again in this win, Pakistan's fifth Test-match victory at the 'home of cricket'.
The responsibility of being the senior bowler appeared to weigh heavily on the 26-year-old, however.
But after just one wicket in England's first innings, the left-armer took four for 36 in the second.
"There was pressure on him," said Sarfraz.
"But we had that belief that he will come good. Inzi (Pakistan selection chief and former Test batsman Inzamam-ul-Haq) talked to him one-on-one and then Mickey talked to him, I spoke to him.
"The way he responded was great.
"He changed his length, he pitched up, which is key to getting wickets in England."


Alcaraz defeats Rublev to reach Qatar Open final against Fils

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Alcaraz defeats Rublev to reach Qatar Open final against Fils

  • The Spaniard will face France’s Arthur Fils in Saturday’s final
  • Russian Rublev fought back from 3-0 down to level the second set and then saved five match points

DOHA: World number one Carlos Alcaraz continued his unbeaten run in 2026 as he beat defending champion Andrey Rublev 7-6(3) 6-4 on Friday to reach the Qatar Open final, reaching the 12th summit clash in his last 13 tournaments.
The Spaniard will face France’s Arthur Fils in Saturday’s final after the 21-year-old beat Czech Jakub Mensik 6-4 7-6(4) in the second semifinal.
Russian Rublev fought back from 3-0 down to level the second set and then saved five match points, but Alcaraz ultimately prevailed to win his 11th straight match of the season.
“I know what I’m able to do every time that I step on court. For me it’s great. Obviously, the way I’m approaching ⁠every match, I’m ⁠just really proud about it,” said 22-year-old Alcaraz, who has been a finalist at the last four Grand Slams, winning three of them.
“It’s paying off, all the focus and attention. I’m just happy and proud about myself with how I’m getting better and getting mature I guess.”
Rublev made 14 unforced backhand errors in the first set, but outwitted Alcaraz with precise forehands ⁠that nicked the baseline as both players broke the other twice each to go into a tiebreak.
Alcaraz held his nerve to go 6-3 up in the tiebreak as a frustrated Rublev repeatedly smashed the racket on his left knee, breaking a string. Seven-time Grand Slam winner Alcaraz then pretended to slice but landed a forehand down the sideline to win the first set.
Alcaraz broke Rublev twice to go 5-3 up in the second set and was serving for the match when the world number 14 saved three match points to break back.
But Alcaraz pushed to break again for ⁠victory in ⁠the next game, and finally converted his sixth match point when Rublev’s backhand landed wide.
Fils reached his fifth career final with a commanding victory over world number 16 Mensik in just over 90 minutes. The Frenchman — who suffered a lower back stress fracture during the 2025 French Open that led to eight months out of the game — committed fewer unforced errors in an otherwise even match, while saving seven of eight break points and converting two of five.
“Eight months without playing, watching others and staying in bed. It was a long and difficult ordeal. But today, the comeback is all the more sweet. It means a lot to me to be in the final,” said Fils.