Clerics in Tajikistan recommend dam-builders skip Ramadan

This handout picture released on October 29, 2016 by the Tajikistan President Press office shows Tajikistan's President Emomali Rakhmon (C) operating a bulldozer at the start of a construction ceremony of a controversial $4 billion Rogun hydroelectric dam. (AFP)
Updated 22 May 2018
Follow

Clerics in Tajikistan recommend dam-builders skip Ramadan

DUSHANBE: Muslim clerics in ex-Soviet Tajikistan have advised workers building what will become the world’s tallest hydroelectric dam not to observe Ramadan, echoing comments from the country’s secular authoritarian ruler.
A spokesman for the religious affairs committee told AFP by telephone on Tuesday that the fatwa (directive) “was issued primarily for the safety of workers engaged in construction” of the Rogun dam.
“They work at a great altitude in difficult conditions, as well as underground,” said the spokesman.
The Rogun dam is a signature project of President Emomali Rakhmon and its Italian contractor is in a race against time to get the first unit online by November.
Rogun, which at 335 meters will become the world’s tallest dam, is a $4 billion project that Rakhmon views as vital to lifting Tajikistan out of poverty.
Earlier this month Rakhmon said that “fasting without thinking about tomorrow” is “not the quality of a true Muslim.”
Ramadan, one of Islam’s most revered holidays in which Muslims around the world fast from dawn until dusk, began last week and ends on June 14.
Authorities in the Central Asian nation have struggled to keep up with a religious revival following independence from the Soviet Union in 1991, clamping down on headscarves and long beards in recent times.
Rakhmon, a former collective farm chairman, also exhorted agricultural workers not to spare energy needed for sowing the fields in the coming weeks during his speech.


South Korea: Civilians sent drones to North Korea four times, harming ties

Updated 4 sec ago
Follow

South Korea: Civilians sent drones to North Korea four times, harming ties

SEOUL: South Korea’s Unification Minister Chung Dong-young said on Wednesday that three civilians had sent drones to North Korea on four occasions since President Lee Jae Myung took office last year, harming inter-Korean ties.
The trio flew the aircraft between September 2025 and January, Chung said, citing an ongoing investigation by police and the military. Drones crashed on two occasions in North Korea, in line with claims ‌made by ‌Pyongyang, he said.
On two other attempts the ​drones ‌returned ⁠to Paju, ​a border ⁠settlement in South Korea, after flying over Kaesong, a city in North Korea, Chung said.
South Korean authorities were investigating the three civilians on suspicion of violating the aviation safety act and breaching criminal law by benefiting the enemy, he said.
Some officials at South Korea’s military intelligence agency and the National Intelligence Service were also under investigation for alleged involvement with the ⁠trio, he said.
“We express official regret to the ‌North,” Chung said, adding that the government ‌was taking the drone incursion incidents very seriously.
North ​Korea has reacted angrily, saying ‌last month that drones from South Korea entered its airspace, after ‌another intrusion in September.
Kim Yo Jong, the powerful sister of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, urged Seoul to investigate the incident, warning provocations could result in “terrible situations.”
Chung also expressed regret over South Korea sending 18 drones to North Korea under ‌the direction of ousted President Yoon Suk Yeol.
“It was an extremely dangerous incident aimed to induce an attack ⁠against South ⁠Korea by sending 18 drones on 11 occasions, to sensitive areas in North Korea including the airspace over the Workers’ Party office,” he said.
South Korean prosecutors have
indicted Yoon
, who was ousted in April 2025, on charges that include aiding an enemy state.
They accused him and his military commanders of ordering a covert drone operation into the North to raise tensions and justify his martial law decree.
Yoon denies wrongdoing.
South Korea’s government plans to strengthen penalties for sending drones to the North, Chung said, including up to a one-year jail term or a 10 million ​won ($6,928) fine.
A clause will ​also be added to South Korea’s inter-Korean relations development act to block actions that heighten tensions on the peninsula, he said.