US to extend protected status for Syrians by 18 months

Temporary Protected Status (TPS) holders Mohammad Alala, his wife Dania, both from Syria and their two U.S. born children Taim and Amr sit on the sofa in their home in Miramar, Florida, U.S., in this January 24, 2018 photo. (REUTERS)
Updated 01 February 2018
Follow

US to extend protected status for Syrians by 18 months

WASHINGTON: The Trump administration said on Wednesday it would allow some 7,000 Syrians to remain in the United States for at least another 18 months under protected status as civil war rages in their native country.
“After carefully considering conditions on the ground, I have determined that it is necessary to extend the Temporary Protected Status designation for Syria,” said Department of Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen in a statement.
“It is clear that the conditions upon which Syria’s designation was based continue to exist, therefore an extension is warranted under the statute,” she added.


Thirty four Australians released from Syrian camp holding Daesh affiliated families

Updated 16 February 2026
Follow

Thirty four Australians released from Syrian camp holding Daesh affiliated families

  • Roj camp holds more than 2,000 people from 40 ⁠different nationalities, the majority of ‌them women ‌and children

ROJ CAMP: Syrian Kurdish forces on Monday released 34 Australians from a camp ​holding families of suspected Daesh militants in northern Syria, saying they would be flown to Australia from Damascus.
Hukmiya Mohamed, a co-director of Roj camp, told Reuters that the ‌34 Australians ‌had been ​released ‌to ⁠members ​of their families ⁠who had come to Syria for the release. They were put on small buses for Damascus.
Roj camp holds more than 2,000 people from 40 ⁠different nationalities, the majority of ‌them women ‌and children.
Thousands of ​people believed ‌to be linked to Daesh militants have been held at Roj and a second camp, Al-Hol, since the militant group was driven ‌from its final territorial foothold in Syria in 2019.
Syrian ⁠government ⁠forces seized swathes of northern Syria from the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces in January, before agreeing a ceasefire on January 29.
The US military last week completed a mission to transfer 5,700 adult male Daesh detainees from Syria to ​Iraq.