Trump sparks UK political row after canceling London trip

Donald Trump said he was abandoning next month’s trip to open the new US embassy because he did not like the location and cost of the building. (Reuters)
Updated 12 January 2018
Follow

Trump sparks UK political row after canceling London trip

LONDON: British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson warned Friday that UK-US relations were at risk after US President Donald Trump canceled a trip to London amid warnings of mass protests.
Trump said he was abandoning next month’s trip to open the new US embassy because he did not like the location and cost of the building.
But Johnson suggested the decision was prompted by the strong public and political opposition to Trump in Britain, warning that critics “seem determined to put this crucial relationship at risk.”
Prime Minister Theresa May offered Trump a state visit to Britain one year ago, when she became the first foreign leader to visit the White House after his inauguration.
But the date has yet to be set in the face of deep hostility to the president in Britain, prompting speculation it could be turned into a lower profile trip focused around the opening of the new embassy.
Trump tweeted overnight that he would not attend the opening, initially scheduled for next month.
“I am not a big fan of the Obama administration having sold perhaps the best located and finest embassy in London for ‘peanuts’, only to build a new one in an off location for 1.2 billion dollars,” he wrote.
“Bad deal. Wanted me to cut ribbon — NO!“
His decision was welcomed by critics who deplored the US travel ban on Muslim-majority countries, and more recently, Trump’s decision to re-tweet anti-Muslim videos posted by a British far-right organization.
“Many Londoners have made it clear that Donald Trump is not welcome here while he is pursuing such a divisive agenda. It seems he’s finally got that message,” tweeted Mayor of London Sadiq Khan.
The mayor, a member of the main opposition Labour party, said there would have been “mass peaceful protests,” and that it had been a “mistake” to invite him.
However, Johnson accused Khan and Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn of damaging US-UK relations with their vocal criticism.
“The US is the biggest single investor in the UK — yet Khan & Corbyn seem determined to put this crucial relationship at risk,” he tweeted.
“We will not allow US-UK relations to be endangered by some puffed up pompous popinjay in City Hall.”
A spokesman for May’s Downing Street office said the invitation for the state visit “has been extended and accepted. No date has been confirmed.”
He said the embassy opening was a US matter, but said: “The US is one of our oldest and most valued allies and our strong and deep partnership will endure.”
The spokesman added that “of course the president would be welcome” to visit London.
Relations between May and Trump have been strained in recent months, after she condemned his re-tweet of videos by far-right group Britain First in November.
He hit back that she should focus on terrorism in Britain, which suffered five attacks last year.
In December, US ambassador to London Woody Johnson said the new embassy was a “signal to the world that this special relationship that we have is stronger and is going to grow and get better.”
He said he was looking forward to welcoming the president to the new embassy, saying: “I think he will be very impressed.”
The new 12-story, cube-shaped building, designed by American architects KieranTimberlake, is located in a regenerated area on the south bank of the River Thames.
Staff moved from their former home in upmarket Mayfair, central London, this week and the new site will be open for business on January 16.
The decision to move was taken by the administration of former Republican president George W. Bush, partly for security reasons following the September 11, 2001, attacks.
Leading Brexit campaigner Nigel Farage, who visited Trump following his election, said the president’s decision not to open the building was “disappointing.”
“He’s been to countries all over the world and yet he’s not been to the one with whom he’s closest,” he said.
But Stephen Doughty, an opposition Labour lawmaker, tweeted: “We are not a big fan of his racist, sexist, unthinking behavior.
“Big protests if he came to cut ribbon. He wanted the red carpet treatment and cheering crowds — NO!“


Trump to remove Vietnam from restricted tech list: Hanoi

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Trump to remove Vietnam from restricted tech list: Hanoi

HANOI: US President Donald Trump told Vietnam’s top leader To Lam he would “instruct the relevant agencies” to remove the country from a list restricted from accessing advanced US technologies, Vietnam’s government announced Saturday.
The two leaders met in person for the first time at the White House on Friday, after Lam attended the inaugural meeting of Trump’s “Board of Peace” in Washington.
“Donald Trump said he would instruct the relevant agencies to soon remove Vietnam from the strategic export control list,” Hanoi’s Government News website said.
The two countries were locked in protracted trade negotiations when the US Supreme Court ruled many of Trump’s sweeping tariffs were illegal.
Three Vietnamese airlines announced nearly $37 billion in purchases this week, in a series of contracts signed with US aerospace companies.
Fledgling airline Sun PhuQuoc Airways placed an order for 40 of Boeing’s 787 Dreamliners, a long-haul aircraft, with an estimated total value of $22.5 billion, while national carrier Vietnam Airlines placed an $8.1 billion order for around 50 Boeing 737-8 aircraft.
When Trump announced his “Liberation Day” tariffs in April, Vietnam had the third-largest trade surplus with the US of any country after China and Mexico, and was targeted with one of the highest rates in Trump’s tariff blitz.
But in July, Hanoi secured a minimum 20 percent tariff with Washington, down from more than 40 percent, in return for opening its market to US products including cars.
Trump signed off on a global 10-percent tariff on Friday on all countries hours after the Supreme Court ruled many of his levies on imports were illegal.