India blind cricketers to play in UAE amid tensions with Pakistan

The Indian blind cricket team left for the United Arab Emirates Saturday to take part in the World Cup after failing to secure permission to play in neighbouring Pakistan. (AFP)
Updated 06 January 2018
Follow

India blind cricketers to play in UAE amid tensions with Pakistan

NEW DELHI: The Indian blind cricket team left for the United Arab Emirates Saturday to take part in the World Cup after failing to secure permission to play in neighbouring Pakistan.
India had been due to play archrivals Pakistan, who they beat in the 2014 Blind Cricket World Cup final, in Faisalabad on Monday.
But instead Pakistan has arranged for India's games to be played in Ajman and Sharjah in the UAE because of tense relations between the nuclear-armed countries.
The fifth edition of the tournament starts Sunday and ends on January 21, with Australia and the West Indies also to be based in UAE due to security concerns.
The Cricket Association for the Blind in India (CABI) told AFP it had to make the last-minute schedule change because the Indian government did not respond to its request for permission to go to Pakistan.
"We are yet to receive any official communication from them. Till they write to us we are not allowed to go. So all our matches are shifted to Dubai (Ajman)," CABI president G K Mahantesh said.
"If we reach the final then it will be shifted from Lahore to Sharjah," he said late Friday before leaving with the team.
Pakistan Blind Cricket Council (PBCC) expressed disappointment over the Indian foreign ministry's silence on the event.
India and Pakistan's senior cricket teams have not played a bilateral series since 2013 because of the tense political climate.
However Pakistan's blind cricket team travelled to India for last year's inaugural Twenty20 World Cup that was won by the host nation.
India won the 50-over World Cup for the Blind in 2014 in Cape Town, beating Pakistan in the final.


Alcaraz defeats Rublev to reach Qatar Open final against Fils

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Alcaraz defeats Rublev to reach Qatar Open final against Fils

  • The Spaniard will face France’s Arthur Fils in Saturday’s final
  • Russian Rublev fought back from 3-0 down to level the second set and then saved five match points

DOHA: World number one Carlos Alcaraz continued his unbeaten run in 2026 as he beat defending champion Andrey Rublev 7-6(3) 6-4 on Friday to reach the Qatar Open final, reaching the 12th summit clash in his last 13 tournaments.
The Spaniard will face France’s Arthur Fils in Saturday’s final after the 21-year-old beat Czech Jakub Mensik 6-4 7-6(4) in the second semifinal.
Russian Rublev fought back from 3-0 down to level the second set and then saved five match points, but Alcaraz ultimately prevailed to win his 11th straight match of the season.
“I know what I’m able to do every time that I step on court. For me it’s great. Obviously, the way I’m approaching ⁠every match, I’m ⁠just really proud about it,” said 22-year-old Alcaraz, who has been a finalist at the last four Grand Slams, winning three of them.
“It’s paying off, all the focus and attention. I’m just happy and proud about myself with how I’m getting better and getting mature I guess.”
Rublev made 14 unforced backhand errors in the first set, but outwitted Alcaraz with precise forehands ⁠that nicked the baseline as both players broke the other twice each to go into a tiebreak.
Alcaraz held his nerve to go 6-3 up in the tiebreak as a frustrated Rublev repeatedly smashed the racket on his left knee, breaking a string. Seven-time Grand Slam winner Alcaraz then pretended to slice but landed a forehand down the sideline to win the first set.
Alcaraz broke Rublev twice to go 5-3 up in the second set and was serving for the match when the world number 14 saved three match points to break back.
But Alcaraz pushed to break again for ⁠victory in ⁠the next game, and finally converted his sixth match point when Rublev’s backhand landed wide.
Fils reached his fifth career final with a commanding victory over world number 16 Mensik in just over 90 minutes. The Frenchman — who suffered a lower back stress fracture during the 2025 French Open that led to eight months out of the game — committed fewer unforced errors in an otherwise even match, while saving seven of eight break points and converting two of five.
“Eight months without playing, watching others and staying in bed. It was a long and difficult ordeal. But today, the comeback is all the more sweet. It means a lot to me to be in the final,” said Fils.