Troops lock down Iraqi Kurdistan’s second city after riots

Above, Iraqi Kurdish security forces stand guard during a protest in Sulaimaniyah on December 19. Protesters have vented their anger against all five of the autonomous Kurdish region’s main political parties, who organized the September referendum. (AFP)
Updated 20 December 2017
Follow

Troops lock down Iraqi Kurdistan’s second city after riots

SULAIMANIYAH, Iraq: Heavily armed troops and anti-riot police locked down Iraqi Kurdistan’s second city Sulaimaniyah on Wednesday after two days of protests killed five people and wounded nearly 200 across the region.
Armored personnel carriers, water cannon and trucks mounted with machine guns were stationed at all of the city’s main crossroads, an AFP correspondent reported.
There was virtually no traffic and most shops were closed, particularly around the central Saray Square, the epicenter of the protests against the disastrous fallout from an independence referendum.
The September vote delivered a resounding “yes” for independence, but drew sweeping reprisals from Baghdad which dealt a heavy blow to Kurdistan’s already flagging economy.
Protesters have vented their anger against all five of the autonomous Kurdish region’s main political parties, not just the Kurdistan Democratic Party (KDP) of former regional president Masoud Barzani, who organized the fateful referendum.
In the town of Rania, 130 kilometers (80 miles) north of Sulaimaniyah, where the five protesters were killed on Tuesday, demonstrators defied a heavy security presence to take to the streets for a third straight day.
The crowd turned its anger on the offices of the Goran party, which control the governor’s office in Sulaimaniyah province, pelting it with stones, witnesses said.
Demonstrators had already torched the offices of the KDP, its historical rival the Patriotic Union of Kurdistan and the Islamic Union on Tuesday. They also seized the mayor’s office.
Prime minister Nechirvan Barzani, the ex-president’s nephew, issued an appeal for calm from Germany where he was on a visit on Tuesday.
“The region is going through a difficult period. Your frustrations are understandable and I hear them,” he said.
“But violence is unacceptable. I ask you to hold peaceful demonstrations.”


Israel police to deploy around Al-Aqsa for Ramadan, Palestinians report curbs

Updated 17 February 2026
Follow

Israel police to deploy around Al-Aqsa for Ramadan, Palestinians report curbs

  • The Al-Aqsa compound is a central symbol of Palestinian identity and also a frequent flashpoint

JERUSALEM: Israeli police said Monday that they would deploy in force around the Al-Aqsa Mosque during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, which begins this week, as Palestinian officials accused Israel of imposing restrictions at the compound.
Over the course of the month of fasting and prayer, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa — Islam’s third-holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed.
Arad Braverman, a senior Jerusalem police officer, said forces would be deployed “day and night” across the compound, known to Jews as the Temple Mount, and in the surrounding area.
He said thousands of police would also be on duty for Friday prayers, which draw the largest crowds of Muslim worshippers.
Braverman said police had recommended issuing 10,000 permits for Palestinians from the occupied West Bank, who require special permission to enter Jerusalem.
He did not say whether age limits would apply, adding that the final number of people would be decided by the government.
The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said in a separate statement it had been informed that permits would again be restricted to men over 55 and women over 50, mirroring last year’s criteria.
It said Israeli authorities had blocked the Islamic Waqf — the Jordanian?run body administering the site — from carrying out routine preparations, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.
A Waqf source confirmed the restrictions and said 33 of its employees had been barred from entering the compound in the week before Ramadan.
The Al-Aqsa compound is a central symbol of Palestinian identity and also a frequent flashpoint.
Under long?standing arrangements, Jews may visit the compound — which they revere as the site of their second temple, destroyed by the Romans in 70 AD — but they are not permitted to pray there.
Israel says it is committed to maintaining this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.
Braverman reiterated Monday that no changes were planned.
In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far?right politician Itamar Ben-Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.