Don’t waste time, EU Brexit chief tells Britain

Michel Barnier
Updated 13 June 2017
Follow

Don’t waste time, EU Brexit chief tells Britain

BRUSSELS: EU Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier has warned London not to waste time, as Brussels waits for embattled British Prime Minister Theresa May to name a date for talks.
In an interview with a group of European newspapers, Barnier lamented that it was already three months since May had formally triggered the two-year process of Britain leaving the EU.
“My preoccupation is that time is passing, it is passing quicker than anyone believes because the subjects we have to deal with are extraordinarily complex... I can’t negotiate with myself,” Barnier was quoted as saying by the Financial Times.
“It will take us several months to draw out the conditions of an orderly withdrawal . . . so let’s not waste time,” he said.
Formal negotiations between Barnier and British Brexit Minister David Davis had been due to start next week but that timetable has been thrown into doubt by May’s catastrophic loss of a majority in last Thursday’s election.
She is now seeking an alliance with a hard-line unionist party in Northern Ireland to cling on to power.
Barnier held “talks about talks” with May’s Brexit adviser Olly Robbins and British EU ambassador Tim Barrow in Brussels on Monday but they failed to agree on a date for the negotiations to begin, a EU official said.
“I need a British delegation and a head of delegation who are stable, responsible and have a mandate,” Barnier was quoted as saying by French daily Le Monde.
Barnier has said he wants to wrap up a Brexit deal by October 2018 so it has time to get through national parliaments and the European Parliament in time for Britain’s departure from the bloc at the end of March 2019.
His comments echo those of EU President Donald Tusk who said on Friday that there was “no time to lose” to avoid Britain crashing out without a deal on future relations.


UK condemns 10-year sentence for British couple in Iran

Updated 11 sec ago
Follow

UK condemns 10-year sentence for British couple in Iran

  • Craig and Lindsay Foreman had been charged ‌with espionage after ‌Iran accused ​them ‌of ⁠gathering ​information in ⁠several parts of the country
LONDON: ‌British foreign minister Yvette Cooper on Thursday condemned as “totally unjustifiable” the 10-year ​sentence given to two British nationals detained in Iran, saying the government would continue pressing for their release.
Craig and Lindsay Foreman had been charged ‌with espionage after ‌Iran accused ​them ‌of ⁠gathering ​information in ⁠several parts of the country.
“We will pursue this case relentlessly with the Iranian government until we see Craig and Lindsay Foreman ⁠safely returned to the UK ‌and ‌reunited with their ​family,” Cooper ‌said in a statement.
Joe Bennett, ‌Lindsay’s son, said in a separate statement the couple had appeared at a three-hour trial ‌on October 27 of last year in which they ⁠were ⁠not allowed to present a defense.
“We have seen no evidence to support the charge of espionage,” he said, adding that the family was deeply concerned about the couple’s welfare and the lack ​of ​transparency in the judicial process.