Pakistan’s army assures commitment to democracy after row with govt

In this April 17, 2017 photo Pakistan's army spokesman Maj. Gen. Asif Ghafoor addresses a news conference in Rawalpindi, Pakistan. (AP)
Updated 11 May 2017
Follow

Pakistan’s army assures commitment to democracy after row with govt

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s powerful military on Wednesday sought to calm worries of a rift with the civilian government, emphasising its commitment to democracy in a country where the army has often seized power.
The reassurance came after the military last month took the unusual step of publicly criticizing the government’s actions following investigations into a leaked newspaper story about a national security meeting.
On Wednesday, the military’s spokesman Maj. Gen. Asif Ghafoor told a news briefing there was no cause for concern.
“We will continue to work with all government institutions to do what is best for the country,” Ghafoor said.
“There’s been a lot of talk about democracy in the past two weeks, but nowhere was there any mention that any actions should be taken against democracy.”
Relations between the civilian government and military have often been strained in Pakistan, where several premiers, including Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif himself during a previous administration in 1999, have been ousted in coups.
The military has ruled Pakistan for 33 of the 70 years since the country gained independence from Britain in 1947.
The country has had a democratically elected government since 2008, but the army retains sweeping influence and any hint of discord raises worries among advocates of a strong civilian government.
The row came after an article in the English-language Dawn newspaper in October, detailing high-level security talks, angered the army.
Sharif fired a close ally at the time of the leak and last month sacked one of his senior advisers after an inquiry report was completed.
But a tweet from Ghafoor rejected Sharif’s actions as “incomplete.”
At the news conference on Wednesday, Ghafoor said the April 29 tweet was “not against any government official or institution,” adding that the investigation into the leaks had come to a satisfactory conclusion.


Trump says he doesn’t know if aliens are real but directs government to release files on UFOs

Updated 2 sec ago
Follow

Trump says he doesn’t know if aliens are real but directs government to release files on UFOs

  • Former President Obama recently suggested in a podcast interview that aliens were real
  • Trump’s daughter-in-law Lara Trump suggested this week that the president was ready to speak about it
WASHINGTON: President Donald Trump said Thursday that he’s directing the Pentagon and other government agencies to identify and release files related to extraterrestrials and UFOs because of “tremendous interest.”
Trump made the announcement in a social media post hours after he accused former President Barack Obama of disclosing “classified information” when Obama recently suggested in a podcast interview that aliens were real.
Trump told reporters aboard Air Force One, “I don’t know if they’re real or not,” and said of Obama, “I may get him out of trouble by declassifying.”
In a post on his social media platform Thursday night, Trump said he was directing government agencies to release files related “to alien and extraterrestrial life, unidentified aerial phenomena (UAP), and unidentified flying objects (UFOs), and any and all other information connected to these highly complex, but extremely interesting and important, matters.”
Obama, who made his comments in a podcast appearance over the weekend, later clarified that he had not seen evidence that aliens “have made contact with us,” but said, “statistically, the universe is so vast that the odds are good there’s life out there.”
Trump told reporters Thursday that when it came to the prospect of extraterrestrial visitors: “I don’t have an opinion on it. I never talk about it. A lot of people do. A lot of people believe it.”
Trump’s daughter-in-law Lara Trump suggested this week that he was ready to speak about it, however, when she said on a podcast that the president had a speech prepared to deliver on aliens that he would give at the “right time.”
That was news to the White House. Press secretary Karoline Leavitt responded with a laugh when she was asked about it Wednesday and told reporters, “A speech on aliens would be news to me.”
Public interest in unidentified flying objects and the possibility of the government hiding secrets of extraterrestrial life re-emerged in the public consciousness after a group of former Pentagon and government officials leaked Navy videos of unknown objects to The New York Times and Politico in 2017. The renewed scrutiny prompted Congress to hold the first hearings on UFOs in 50 years in May 2022, though officials said that the objects, which appeared to be green triangles floating above a Navy ship, were likely drones.
Since then the Pentagon has promised more transparency on the topic. In July 2022 it created the All-Domain Anomaly Resolution Office, or AARO, which was intended to be a central place to collect reports of all military UFO encounters, taking over from a department task force.
In 2023, Dr. Sean Kirkpatrick, the head of AARO at the time, told reporters he didn’t have any evidence “of any program having ever existed as a to do any sort of reverse engineering of any sort of extraterrestrial (unidentified aerial phenomena).”
The information that has been made public shows that the vast majority of UFO reports made by the military go unsolved but the ones that are identified are largely benign in nature.
An 18-page unclassified report submitted to Congress in June 2024 said service members had made 485 reports of unidentified phenomena in the past year but 118 cases were found to be “prosaic objects such as various types of balloons, birds, and unmanned aerial systems.”
“It is important to underscore that, to date, AARO has discovered no evidence of extraterrestrial beings, activity, or technology,” the report stressed.