Prestigious Muslim body condemns Paris attack

Al-Azhar mosque in Cairo. (AFP)
Updated 21 April 2017
Follow

Prestigious Muslim body condemns Paris attack

CAIRO: The prestigious Egyptian Muslim institution Al-Azhar condemned on Friday a deadly Daesh group attack in Paris, describing it as “sinful” and un-Islamic.
A known extremist shot dead a French policeman and wounded two others on the world-famous Champs Elysees avenue on Thursday night, in an attack claimed by IS.
The gunman was shot dead as he tried to flee.
“Al-Azhar strongly condemns this sinful terrorist attack,” the Cairo-based Sunni institution said in a statement.
“Al-Azhar affirms its categorical rejection of such terrorist acts that contradict Islamic teachings,” it added.
Observers had feared bloodshed ahead of Sunday’s presidential election in France following a string of atrocities since 2015 and the violence is likely to thrust security to the front of voters’ minds.


Hamas official says group in final stage of choosing new chief

Updated 1 sec ago
Follow

Hamas official says group in final stage of choosing new chief

CAIRO: A senior Hamas official told AFP on Sunday that the Palestinian movement was in the final phase of selecting a new leader, with two prominent figures competing for the position.
Hamas recently completed the formation of a new Shoura Council, a consultative body largely composed of religious scholars, as well as a new political bureau.
Members of the council are elected every four years by representatives from Hamas’s three branches: the Gaza Strip, the occupied West Bank and the movement’s external leadership.
Hamas prisoners in Israeli jails are also eligible to vote.
The council subsequently elects the political bureau, which in turn selects the head of the movement.
“The movement has completed its internal elections in the three regions and has reached the final stage of selecting the head of the political bureau,” the official said, speaking on condition of anonymity as he was not authorized to speak publicly.
He added that the race for the group’s leadership is now between Khaled Meshaal and Khalil Al-Hayya.
A second Hamas source confirmed the development within the organization, which fought a devastating war with Israel following its October 7, 2023 attack.
Hayya, 65, a Gaza native and Hamas’s chief negotiator in ceasefire talks, has held senior roles since at least 2006, according to the US-based NGO the Counter Extremism Project (CEP).
Meshaal, who led the political bureau from 2004 to 2017, has never lived in Gaza. He was born in the West Bank in 1956.
He joined Hamas in Kuwait and later lived in Jordan, Syria and Qatar. The CEP says he oversaw Hamas’s evolution into a political-military hybrid.
He currently heads the movement’s diaspora office.
Last month, a Hamas source told AFP that Hayya enjoys backing from the group’s armed wing, the Ezzedine Al-Qassem Brigades.
After Israel killed former Hamas leader Ismail Haniyeh in Tehran in July 2024, the group chose its then-Gaza chief Yahya Sinwar as his successor.
Israel accused Sinwar of masterminding the October 7 attack.
He too was killed by Israeli forces in the southern Gaza city of Rafah, three months after Haniyeh’s assassination.
Hamas then opted for an interim five-member leadership committee based in Qatar, postponing the appointment of a single leader until elections, given the risk of the new chief being targeted by Israel.