Fresh tensions cloud India, Pakistan peace talks

Updated 04 July 2012
Follow

Fresh tensions cloud India, Pakistan peace talks

NEW DELHI: Top Indian and Pakistani foreign ministry officials met Wednesday to bolster a fragile peace dialogue undermined by fresh tensions over the 2008 Mumbai attacks and political flux in Pakistan.
New Delhi suspended a four-year peace process with Islamabad after the attacks on India’s financial capital by 10 Islamist gunmen that left 166 people dead.
The full peace dialogue only resumed in February last year.
A senior Indian government official said Wednesday’s meeting between Indian Foreign Secretary Ranjan Mathai and his Pakistani counterpart Jalil Abbas Jilani had the sole aim of keeping the “dialogue process on track.”
Both men are the top civil servants in their respective ministries.
The talks’ atmosphere has been soured by India’s recent arrest of Sayed Zabiuddin Ansari, suspected of being a key handler for the Mumbai attackers who were members of the Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Taiba militant group.
India says Ansari has admitted helping to coordinate the deadly assault from a command post in Karachi, and his testimony has renewed Indian accusations that “state elements” in Pakistan were involved.
Returning Tuesday from a visit to Tajikistan, Indian Foreign Minister S.M. Krishna said the information extracted from Ansari would have to be corroborated with other sources.
“That is when we will have to make a value judgment whether Pakistan can be trusted or not,” Krishna told reporters.
He also said it was a “matter of great regret” that Lashkar founder Hafiz Saeed — accused of masterminding the 2008 attacks — was still “moving freely in Pakistan.”
The United States has offered a $10 million reward for information leading to Saeed’s conviction.
Pakistan has indicted seven people for their alleged role in the Mumbai attacks but their trial, which began in 2009, has been beset by delays.
Wilson John, a foreign policy analyst at the Observer Research Foundation, an independent think tank in New Delhi, said the wounds re-opened by Ansari’s arrest had set the revived peace process back.
“The blame game has started again... too much heat and dust has been stirred up at various levels,” John said.
India and Pakistan have fought three wars since the sub-continent was partitioned in 1947, and the nuclear-armed rivals remain deadlocked on their core dispute over the divided Himalayan territory of Kashmir.
Since resuming their dialogue, they have sought to make progress on less contentious issues like bilateral trade, and have agreed to enhance cooperation on terrorism, human trafficking, narcotics and cyber crime.
But analysts say the recent political upheaval in Pakistan has drained some of the momentum from the process.
The foreign secretaries’ meeting was to have taken place at the end of last month, but was postponed in the uncertainty that followed the Pakistani Supreme Court’s dismissal of Yousuf Raza Gilani as prime minister.
“No one should expect any substantive outcome from this diplomatic meeting,” G. Parthasarathy, former Indian envoy to Pakistan, told AFP.
“Who is the real leader in Pakistan and whom should India be talking to? The only significance of the meeting is: Yes, we met and we will continue to meet.”
The foreign secretaries are expected to lay the the ground for another round of talks between their respective foreign ministers — originally scheduled for July 18 but also postponed with a new date yet to be announced.


Zuckerberg says Meta no longer designs apps to maximize screentime

Updated 3 sec ago
Follow

Zuckerberg says Meta no longer designs apps to maximize screentime

  • Meta Platforms CEO faces questioned at a landmark trial over youth social media addiction
  • It was the billionaire Facebook founder’s first time testifying in court on Instagram’s effect on the mental health of young users
LOS ANGELES: Meta Platforms CEO Mark Zuckerberg pushed back in court on Wednesday against a lawyer’s suggestion that ​he had misled Congress about the design of its social media platforms, as a landmark trial over youth social media addiction continues.
Zuckerberg was questioned on his statements to Congress in 2024, at a hearing where he said the company did not give its teams the goal of maximizing time spent on its apps.
Mark Lanier, a lawyer for a woman who accuses Meta of harming her mental health when she was a child, showed jurors emails from 2014 and 2015 in which Zuckerberg laid out aims to increase
time spent on the app by double-digit percentage points. Zuckerberg said that while Meta previously had goals related to ‌the amount of ‌time users spent on the app, it has since changed its ​approach.
“If ‌you ⁠are trying ​to ⁠say my testimony was not accurate, I strongly disagree with that,” Zuckerberg said.
The appearance was the billionaire Facebook founder’s first time testifying in court on Instagram’s effect on the mental health of young users.
While Zuckerberg has previously testified on the subject before Congress, the stakes are higher at the jury trial in Los Angeles, California. Meta may have to pay damages if it loses the case, and the verdict could erode Big Tech’s longstanding legal defense against claims of user harm.
The lawsuit and others like it are part of a ⁠global backlash against social media platforms over children’s mental health.
Australia has prohibited access ‌to social media platforms for users under age 16, and ‌other countries including Spain are considering similar curbs. In the US, ​Florida has prohibited companies from allowing users under age ‌14. Tech industry trade groups are challenging the law in court.
The case involves a California woman ‌who started using Meta’s Instagram and Google’s YouTube as a child. She alleges the companies sought to profit by hooking kids on their services despite knowing social media could harm their mental health. She alleges the apps fueled her depression and suicidal thoughts and is seeking to hold the companies liable.
Meta and Google have denied the allegations, and ‌pointed to their work to add features that keep users safe. Meta has often pointed to a National Academies of Sciences finding that research does not ⁠show social media changes ⁠kids’ mental health.
The lawsuit serves as a test case for similar claims in a larger group of cases against Meta, Alphabet’s Google, Snap and TikTok. Families, school districts and states have filed thousands of lawsuits in the US accusing the companies of fueling a youth mental health crisis. Over the years, investigative reporting has unearthed internal Meta documents showing the company was aware of potential harm.
Meta researchers found that teens who report that Instagram regularly made them feel bad about their bodies saw significantly more “eating disorder adjacent content” than those who did not, Reuters reported in October.
Adam Mosseri, head of Instagram, testified last week that he was unaware of a recent Meta study showing no link between parental supervision and teens’ attentiveness to their own social media use. Teens with difficult life circumstances more often said they used Instagram habitually ​or unintentionally, according to the document shown at ​trial.
Meta’s lawyer told jurors at the trial that the woman’s health records show her issues stem from a troubled childhood, and that social media was a creative outlet for her.