Egypt condemns 17 to death for Daesh church attacks

In this file photo, relatives mourn the victims of the Palm Sunday bombings during funeral rites at the Monastery of Saint Mina in Alexandria, Egypt, April 10, 2017. (Reuters)
Updated 11 October 2018
0

Egypt condemns 17 to death for Daesh church attacks

  • Christian sites of worship across Egypt have been repeatedly targeted in attacks claimed by Daesh, prompting the authorities to impose a state of emergency.
  • In November last year, suspected Daesh militants killed more than 300 Muslim worshippers in a gun and bomb assault on a mosque in the Sinai Peninsula.

CAIRO: An Egyptian military court on Thursday sentenced 17 people to death over a series of suicide bombings of churches claimed by Daesh that left dozens dead.
Another 19 people were handed life prison terms and 10 were sentenced to between 10 and 15 years, judicial and security officials said.
Seventy-four people were killed in the attacks in 2016 and 2017 in Cairo, Alexandria and the Nile Delta city of Tanta targeting Coptic Christians, who make up about 10 percent of Egypt’s predominantly Sunni Muslim population.
Christian sites of worship across Egypt have been repeatedly targeted in attacks claimed by Daesh, prompting the authorities to impose a state of emergency.
A suicide attack on December 11, 2016 on the Saint Peter and Saint Paul church killed 29 in the heart of Cairo.
The following April, 45 people were killed as Christians gathered to celebrate Palm Sunday in the cities of Tanta and Alexandria.
Since the military overthrow of president Muhammad Mursi in 2013, hundreds of police officers, soldiers and civilians have been killed in extremist attacks.
In November last year, suspected Daesh militants killed more than 300 Muslim worshippers in a gun and bomb assault on a mosque in the Sinai Peninsula.
The Egyptian army is waging a major operation focused on the Sinai aimed at wiping out Daesh.


Several killed in Egypt chemical plant blast: medics, security sources

Updated 21 March 2019
0

Several killed in Egypt chemical plant blast: medics, security sources

  • No official toll from the incident in Ain Sokhna has been confirmed

CAIRO: Several people were killed Thursday when a gas tank exploded at an Egyptian fertilizer factory on the Red Sea coast, according to medical and security sources.
No official toll from the incident in Ain Sokhna has been confirmed, but medics told AFP 10 bodies had been received at a nearby morgue following an incident.