Pakistan says shot down Indian ‘surveillance’ quadcopter near Kashmir border

The images shared by Pakistani state media show a quadcopter shot down by Pakistan along the Line of Control (LoC) on April 29, 2025. (PTV News)
Short Url
Updated 29 April 2025
Follow

Pakistan says shot down Indian ‘surveillance’ quadcopter near Kashmir border

  • The incident comes a week after 26 tourists were killed in the Pahalgam area of Indian-administered Kashmir
  • India blamed Pakistan, which denied involvement and warned of a ‘befitting response’ to any aggression

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan said on Tuesday it shot down an Indian quadcopter that violated its airspace along the Line of Control (LoC), the de facto border dividing the disputed region of Kashmir, amid growing tensions between the two nuclear-armed neighbors.

The incident comes a week after 26 tourists were killed in the Pahalgam area of Indian-administered Kashmir. India accused Pakistan of orchestrating the attack, though the charge was denied by Islamabad.

New Delhi also suspended key provisions of the 1960 Indus Waters Treaty, with Indian media outlets urging the government to consider military strikes.

Islamabad has warned it would deliver a “befitting response” to any aggression, saying its forces are on high alert to thwart any action from across the border.

“The Pakistan Army thwarted an Indian quadcopter’s violation of airspace along the Line of Control (LoC),” Pakistan’s government said on its official social media account.

“In the Manawar sector of Bhimber area, the enemy attempted to conduct surveillance using a quadcopter, which the Pakistan Army shot down through timely and effective action,” it added.




The image shared by Pakistani state media shows a quadcopter shot down by Pakistan along the Line of Control (LoC) on April 29, 2025. (PTV News)

Earlier, Pakistan’s state media, quoting security sources, reported the military had shot down an Indian quadcopter attempting reconnaissance along the LoC, calling the action a testament to Pakistan’s defensive preparedness.

Tensions have remained high since the April 22 attack in Pahalgam, with Pakistan’s Defense Minister Khawaja Asif warning on Monday the next few days were “crucial” in view of a possible Indian military incursion.

“The threat is there, there is absolutely no doubt about it,” Asif told Geo TV.

“If any attempt was made to cross our geographical borders or if a war was imposed on us, then we are definitely prepared for that and will give a full response,” he added.

Kashmir, a Himalayan region claimed in full by both India and Pakistan but ruled in parts by each, has been a flashpoint between the two countries since their independence in 1947.

The two sides have fought two of their three wars over the territory.


Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

  • Shaheen Shah Afridi was left out after conceding 101 runs in three matches
  • Pakistan will now face New Zealand in the opening match of the second phase

COLOMBO: Batting great Babar Azam was dropped for Pakistan’s final T20 World Cup group game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, said head coach Mike Hesson on Friday.

Azam, who is the highest run-scorer in T20 international history with 4,571 runs, was left out for the must-win game against Namibia as Pakistan racked up 199-3 and secured a place in the Super Eights by 102 runs.

The 2009 champions face New Zealand in Colombo on Saturday in the opening match of the second phase.

“I think Babar is well aware that his strike rate in the power play in the World Cup is less than 100 and that’s clearly not the role we think we need,” Hesson told reporters after Pakistan’s final practice session on Friday was washed out by rain.

Pakistan left out Azam for the same reason at last year’s Asia Cup and even after dismal showing in the Big Bash League, he was still selected for the T20 World Cup.

“We brought Babar back in for a specific role post the Asia Cup,” said Hesson.

“We’ve got plenty of other options who can come in and perform that role toward the end.

“Babar is actually the first to acknowledge that.

“He knows that he’s got a certain set of skills that the team requires and there are certain times where other players can perform that role more efficiently.”

Hesson also defended dropping pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi after he conceded 101 runs in three matches, including 31 in two overs against India.

“We made a call that Salman Mirza was coming in for Shaheen, and he bowled incredibly well,” said Hesson.

“To be fair, he was probably really unlucky to not be playing the second and third games.”

Hesson was wary of Pakistan’s opponents on Saturday.

“New Zealand have played a huge amount in the subcontinent in recent times so we have to play at our best.”