Two Pakistani soldiers killed in shootout with militants

Pakistani soldiers keep vigil from a post on top of a mountain in the former Taliban militants strong hold border area in Shawal valley North Waziristan on May 20, 2016. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 20 September 2020

Two Pakistani soldiers killed in shootout with militants

  • Attack took place during a search operation in the Spalga area near Miranshah in North Waziristan
  • Earlier this month, the Pakistani Taliban took responsibility for a roadside bomb attack that killed three soldiers


 

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s military on Sunday said two soldiers were killed in a shootout with militants during a search operation in the country’s northwest, a former militant stronghold.

The operation was conducted late Saturday in the Spalga area near Miranshah, the main town in North Waziristan in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province bordering Afghanistan.

The area has served as a base for Pakistani and foreign militants until recent years, when the military claimed troops had cleared it.

Earlier this month, the Pakistani Taliban took responsibility for a powerful roadside bomb attack in northwestern Pakistan that targeted a military vehicle, killing three soldiers and wounding four.

That attack raised fears that the Pakistani Taliban were regrouping in the region. Also known as Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan, they are a separate insurgent group from the Afghan Taliban, although Pakistan’s militant groups are often interlinked with those across the border in Afghanistan.

The Pakistani Taliban have been targeting the military and civilians across the country since 2001, when Pakistan joined the US-led war on terror following the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks in the US.

Since then, the militants have declared war on the government of Pakistan and have carried out numerous attacks, including a brutal assault on an army-run school in the city of Peshawar in 2014 that killed 140 children and several teachers.


Pakistan condemns deadly attack at education center in Kabul

Updated 2 min 38 sec ago

Pakistan condemns deadly attack at education center in Kabul

  • Daesh reportedly claim responsibility for attack on educational center in western Kabul
  • Uptick in deadly violence has been observed in Afghanistan despite ongoing intra-Afghan peace talks

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan has condemned the suicide attack that killed at least 18 people at an educational center in the Afghan capital on Saturday.

The attack happened late afternoon at the center which offers higher education training in a western district of Kabul. At least 57 people were injured in the attack, the interior ministry said. According to media reports, Daesh claimed responsibility for the assault in a post on Telegram.

"Pakistan condemns in the strongest possible terms the inhuman terrorist attack outside an educational center in Dasht-e-Barchi area of Kabul," Pakistan's Foreign Office said in a statement.

"Pakistan condemns terrorism in all its forms and manifestations and will continue to support a peaceful and stable Afghanistan."

The suicide attack came hours after a roadside bomb killed nine civilians east of Kabul. Officials blamed the Taliban for the roadside attack.

An uptick in deadly violence has been observed in Afghanistan despite ongoing peace talks between the Afghan government and the Taliban to yield a lasting peace and end decades of conflict in the war-torn country.

The Taliban have been accused of increasing violence to wield leverage in the negotiations.

On Friday, rights group Amnesty International said at least 50 people had been killed in attacks in the preceding week, accusing the Taliban and Kabul of failing to protect civilians.