Saudi Arabia backs UN’s coronavirus response plan with $100 million

The United Nations Headquarters in New York, US, on March 10, 2020. (REUTERS/File)
Short Url
Updated 19 September 2020

Saudi Arabia backs UN’s coronavirus response plan with $100 million

  • Kingdom's donation will support UN's International Response Plan to coronavirus pandemic
  • Guterres thanked Saudi Arabia for its generous and continuous support to UN

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia said Friday it was donating $100 million to the World Health Organization (WHO) and toward a number of projects in support of a United Nations response plan to combat the coronavirus pandemic.
The announcement was made by the Kingdom’s permanent representative to the UN, Ambassador Abdallah Al-Mouallimi, during a virtual event with UN Secretary-General António Guterres, Saudi Press Agency reported.
“The International Response Plan to coronavirus pandemic, the WHO and other UN agencies will benefit from this Saudi donation,” Al-Mouallimi tweeted following the meeting.
Earlier, Al-Mouallimi said that “this support comes within the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia’s international efforts in support of the response to combating the coronavirus, and awareness of the importance of cooperation, solidarity and collective and international action to foster a transparent, robust, coordinated and wide-ranging global response.”
He said the Kingdom was carrying out “the role it has been entrusted with toward multilateralism, collective and international action in order to confront the COVID-19 pandemic,” adding that Saudi Arabia was one of the first countries “to extend a hand of aid and coordination” with countries affected by the spread of the virus.
Al-Mouallimi said that the Kingdom is working to enable the UN to lead international action to intensify global efforts to combat coronavirus, and to enhance support for developing countries and the most vulnerable regions in fighting this pandemic.
In particular, he mentioned assisting refugees, raising the standards of living among the world’s poorest groups, developing fragile economies, mediating an end to conflicts, and building more harmonious relationships between nations.
Guterres thanked King Salman and Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman for the Kingdom’s generous and continuous support to the organization.


Saudi Arabia announces 17 more COVID-19 deaths

Updated 24 October 2020

Saudi Arabia announces 17 more COVID-19 deaths

  • The total number of recoveries in the Kingdom has increased to 330,995
  • A total of 5,281 people have succumbed to the virus in the Kingdom so far

LONDON: Saudi Arabia announced 17 deaths from the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) and 395 new infections on Saturday.
Of the new cases, 85 were recorded in Madinah, 42 in Yanbu, 37 in Riyadh, 32 in Makkah, 14 in Jeddah and 8 in Dammam.
The total number of recoveries in the Kingdom increased to 330,995 after 417 more patients recovered from the virus.
A total of 5,281 people have succumbed to the virus in the Kingdom so far.