Sudan’s finance, foreign and energy ministers replaced in reshuffle

Sudan’s prime minister has accepted the resignation of six ministers including the finance, foreign and energy ministers as part of a cabinet reshuffle. (File/AFP)
Short Url
Updated 09 July 2020

Sudan’s finance, foreign and energy ministers replaced in reshuffle

  • Earlier this week, PM Hamdok fired Sudan's police chief and his deputy
  • The reshuffle comes nine days after large street protests demanding faster and more comprehensive reforms

CAIRO: Sudan's prime minister replaced the finance, foreign, energy and health ministers and three other senior cabinet post-holders on Thursday as part of a sweeping reshuffle, the government said.
Authorities had said a reshuffle was coming, but few had expected the exit of Ibrahim Al-Badawi, who as finance minister led efforts to steady Sudan's crisis-stricken economy and liaised with foreign donors.
The government said transitional Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok had dismissed the health minister and accepted the resignation of Badawi and the others. It named interim replacements to lead all seven ministries.
Hamdok leads a government of technocrats under a 39-month power-sharing agreement between the military and civilian groups, following the removal of long-time President Omar Al-Bashir last year.
Badawi's interim replacement will be Heba Ahmed Ali, a senior finance ministry official, the government statement said.
The reshuffle comes nine days after large street protests demanding faster and more comprehensive reforms from transitional authorities.
On the eve of the protests, Hamdok had promised to take a number of major decisions, without giving details. Earlier this week, he fired Sudan's police chief and his deputy, who were seen by pro-democracy groups as close to Bashir's regime.


New Zealand slams Qatar as Kiwi woman revealed as victim of airport exams

Updated 32 min 7 sec ago

New Zealand slams Qatar as Kiwi woman revealed as victim of airport exams

  • These latest revelations come just a day after the British government spoke out against a similar incident involving 2 Britons
  • Qatar says the searches were carried out after a baby was left in a bin

WELLINGTON: New Zealand has revealed one of its citizens was among the women subjected to invasive pelvic examinations at Doha airport, labelling the action “completely unacceptable.”
“We were extremely concerned to learn... that a New Zealand national was involved in the appalling incident involving female passengers on several Qatar Airways flights,” the foreign affairs ministry said in a statement late Thursday.
“This action was completely unacceptable. We are making our views known to Qatari authorities and are seeking a full report on what occurred.”

Now Qatar has said it will prosecute those responsible for the searches.
Women on 10 flights out of Doha were subject to the examinations as authorities in the ultra-conservative Gulf state searched for the mother of a newborn baby found abandoned in an airport bathroom.
The foreign ministry statement provided no details about the New Zealand woman involved, citing privacy concerns.
Qatar said Wednesday it “regrets any distress” over the incident, which occurred in early October but only came to light this week after affected Australian passengers spoke out.
Australia has since said 13 of its citizens had to endure the “appalling” examinations, Britain said it is providing support for two women and AFP has learned a French woman was also affected.
In its first account of events, Qatar said the baby girl was wrapped in plastic and left to die in a bathroom rubbish bin, prompting what sources said was a lockdown of the airport.
Women were then led from aircraft to ambulances on the tarmac where they were subject to cervical examinations to see if they had recently given birth.
Qatar has launched an investigation into the incident, which involved women on 10 flights, and sources say those involved could face criminal prosecution.