NBA says 25 players, 10 staffers tested positive for virus

Some 25 NBA players have tested positive for COVID-19 since testing began last week ahead of the planned season restart, the league and players union announced on July 2, 2020. (AFP / GETTY IMAGES File photo)
Short Url
Updated 02 July 2020

NBA says 25 players, 10 staffers tested positive for virus

  • The NBA plans to resume the season on July 30 with 22 teams conducting games without spectators in a bubble environment at Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida.

NEW YORK: There have been 25 NBA players who were positive for COVID-19 since testing began last week ahead of the planned season restart, the league and players union announced Thursday.
In the latest results, the NBA and National Basketball Players Association said 25 of 351 players have tested positive since testing started June 23.
Nine players tested positive for the coronavirus from 344 players tested between June 24-29.
Tests of 884 team staff members from June 23-29 showed 10 coronavirus positives.
Any player, coach or team staff member testing positive must remain in self-isolation until meeting public health protocols and receiving clearance from a physician.
The NBA shut down the 2019-20 season on March 11 after Utah’s Rudy Gobert tested positive for the coronavirus.
The NBA plans to resume the season on July 30 with 22 teams conducting games without spectators in a bubble environment at Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida.
Teams are set to travel to Orlando next Tuesday through Thursday to conduct training camps and scrimmages from July 9-29.
Seedings games, eight for each team, are set to begin July 30 with the Los Angeles Lakers playing the Los Angeles Clippers and the Utah Jazz facing the New Orleans Pelicans.
After those contests complete the season, and following any play-in games that might be needed, the NBA playoffs are set to begin August 17 with the NBA Finals set to begin on September 30.


Lebanese footballer dies of bullet wound

Updated 18 September 2020

Lebanese footballer dies of bullet wound

  • Mohamed Atwi, 32, played as a midfielder for a number of Lebanese clubs and won the national league three times with Beirut’s Ansar, his club for almost a decade
  • Tributes poured in for the player, who was also capped three times for his country

BEIRUT: A prominent Lebanese footballer has died of a bullet wound sustained last month during a funeral for one of the victims of the Beirut port blast, his club said Friday.
Mohamed Atwi, 32, played as a midfielder for a number of Lebanese clubs and won the national league three times with Beirut’s Ansar, his club for almost a decade.
“A sad day for sport... a great loss for Lebanese football,” Wael Chehayeb, an official with his latest club Al-Akhaa Al-Ahly, posted on social media.
Tributes poured in for the player, who was also capped three times for his country.
Atwi was hit in the head by a bullet as he walked on a street in a Beirut neighborhood last month.
Initial reports suggested he was struck by a falling bullet fired in the air from a nearby procession mourning one of the firefighters killed in the August 4 port explosion.
Atwi’s family however has demanded a full investigation into the circumstances of his death, over which no arrests have been made.
Shooting in the air for celebrations and funerals is common in Lebanon despite recurring injuries from falling bullets.