French envoy meets Qassim governor, praises development in region

French ambassador meets Qassim Gov. Prince Faisal bin Mishaal. (SPA)
Short Url
Updated 27 February 2020

French envoy meets Qassim governor, praises development in region

  • Prince Faisal praised the deep relations between the Kingdom and France

RIYADH: French Ambassador to Saudi Arabia Francois Gouyette on Tuesday met Qassim Gov. Prince Faisal bin Mishaal.

During the meeting, they discussed issues of common interest.

The meeting was organized during Gouyette’s visit to the region.

Prince Faisal praised the deep relations between the Kingdom and France. The French ambassador expressed his happiness at meeting the governor, praising the development that he witnessed in the region.

The Franco-Saudi relationship is characterized by long-standing relations of friendship. High-level exchanges and joint projects in many fields testify to the solidity of the strategic partnership between the two countries.

In a column for Arab News on French National Day last year, Gouyette, wrote: “The Franco-Saudi relationship relies on common strategic interests, as well as on a broad convergence of views on the major issues (such as peace, security and development) and challenges (including sustainable growth and health) of the 21st century. On all regional and international topics, Paris and Riyadh maintain a close and constant dialogue to coordinate their efforts.”

Through the implementation of Saudi Vision 2030 and in shared approaches to major international challenges, the envoy said that France and Saudi Arabia are fully mobilized to maintain the strong relationship.


Saudi forces intercept ballistic missiles over Riyadh and Jazan

Updated 29 March 2020

Saudi forces intercept ballistic missiles over Riyadh and Jazan

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia’s air defense forces shot down ballistic missiles toward Riyadh and the southern city of Jazan late on Saturday.

Col. Turki al-Maliki, spokesman for the Saudi-led Arab coalition helping Yemen's legitimate government, said the Royal Saudi Air Defense Forces intercepted and destroyed at 11:23 p.m. on Saturday two ballistic missiles over Riyadh.

At least one missile has also been intercepted over the southern city of Jazan, according to Al Arabiya sources.

Al-Maliki said the missiles were fired by the "Houthi terrorist militia" from Sanaa and Saada in Yemen toward civilian objects and civilians in the Kingdom.

Lt. Col. Mohammed Al Hammadi, media spokesperson for the Civil Defense in the Riyadh region, said two civilians from separate neighborhoods in the capital were injured by falling debris from the intercepted missiles as they exploded in mid-air.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack, but Yemen’s Iran-aligned Houthi terrorists have previously targeted Riyadh and other Saudi cities with missiles, rockets and drones.

Three explosions were heard in the curfew-locked capital before midnight amid efforts to curb the coronavirus pandemic, residents said on social media.

It was the first major assault on Saudi Arabia since the Houthis offered last September to halt attacks on the Kingdom after devastating twin strikes on Saudi oil installations.