UAE support for Pakistani youth employment 'deeply appreciated' — PM aide

The Pakistani PM’s special assistant on youth affairs, Muhammad Usman Dar, meets with Emirati Ambassador Hamad Obaid Al-Zaabi in Islamabad on Jan. 30, 2020. (Supplied)
Short Url
Updated 30 January 2020

UAE support for Pakistani youth employment 'deeply appreciated' — PM aide

  • UAE announced $200 million support for small and medium-sized Pakistani enterprises
  • A special pavilion to promote Pakistani talent will be established at Dubai Expo 2020

ISLAMABAD: The Pakistani prime minister’s special assistant on youth affairs, Muhammad Usman Dar, expressed gratitude for the UAE’s financial support to create job opportunities during a meeting with Emirati Ambassador Hamad Obaid Al-Zaabi in Islamabad on Thursday.
The premier’s aide expressed appreciation for Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al-Nahyan’s announcement of $200 million support for small and medium-sized enterprises in Pakistan, a statement issued by Dar’s office said.
The crown prince visited Pakistan on Jan. 2 and announced the support package to help create jobs and enhance exports.
“Your support will surely help in enhancing economic activities at SME level that will also create jobs opportunities for our youth. Your assistance in the areas of health and education are also highly commendable,” Dar told Al-Zaabi.
According to the statement, the Emirati ambassador said the crown prince’s cooperation with Pakistan was focused on the youth, education and health sectors, and his government was planning special training for teachers at its school projects in South Waziristan, Khyber Pakhtunkhawa and Baluchistan.
“We are also working on establishing training centers in view to better equip teachers in these schools,” he said, as quoted in the statement, and told Dar that the UAE government had announced the establishment of a $20 million structure for Pakistan at Dubai Expo 2020 and a special corner for youth to showcase Pakistani talent.
He said that “1.7 million Pakistanis, including doctors, engineers and laborers working in UAE are part of our success,” the statement read.
Dubai Expo 2020 will begin on Oct. 20 and is the first mega-event of its kind to be held in the Middle East.


Pakistan to resume middle school classes tomorrow despite rising COVID-19 infections

Updated 22 September 2020

Pakistan to resume middle school classes tomorrow despite rising COVID-19 infections

  • Dozens of educational institutions around the country were closed this week over violation of virus standard operating proce­dures and detection of new cases
  • Earlier this month, government announced it would allow the “phased” reopening of all educational institutions from September 15

ISLAMABAD: The National Command and Operation Center (NCOC) on Tuesday said middle schools across the country would resume regular classes as scheduled from tomorrow, September 23, Radio Pakistan reported, despite coronavirus cases being detected in educational institutes around the country this past week.
Schools were closed in March when the government enforced a nationwide lockdown to contain the spread of coronavirus. Authorities started lifting strict curbs in May and last month allowed almost all businesses and the tourism sector to reopen.
Earlier this month, the Pakistani government announced it would be allowing the “phased” reopening of all educational institutions from September 15.
All higher educational institutions including universities, intermediate and professional colleges, reopened from September 15, while grades six through eighth grade were to reopen on September 23 and primary schools would resume classes from September 30.
Following the decision of the NCOC to resume middle school classes from Wednesday, Punjab, Balochistan and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa officially announced that classes would start tomorrow. However, Sindh Education Minister Saeed Ghani said schools in the province would reopen on September 28.
Dozens of educational institutions around the country were closed this week over violation of standard operating proce­dures (SOPs) and detection of Covid-19 cases among students, teachers and other staff.
But Federal Education Minister Shafqat Mahmood said on Saturday that a hasty decision to close down schools again would “destroy education.”
“6 months closure deeply affected the students. Decision to open was taken with great care,” he wrote on Twitter. ” Any hasty decision to close will destroy education.”

The education minister of Punjab province, Murad Raas, said on Twitter:
“All Public & Private Schools will be allowed classes 6 through 8 starting September 23rd. It is imperative for everyone to follow SOPs ... All of us have to play our part to make this successful InshAllah.”