China tests Mars lander in international cooperation push

A lander is lifted during a test of hovering, obstacle avoidance and deceleration capabilities at a facility in Huailai in China's Hebei province, Thursday, Nov. 14, 2019. (File/AFP)
Updated 14 November 2019

China tests Mars lander in international cooperation push

  • China plans to launch a lander and rover to Mars next year to explore parts of the planet in detail
  • China’s burgeoning space program achieved a lunar milestone earlier this year by landing a probe on the mysterious far side of the moon

HUAILAI, China: China invited international observers to a Thursday test of its Mars lander as it pushes for inclusion in more global space projects.

The demonstration of hovering, obstacle avoidance and deceleration capabilities was conducted at a site outside Beijing simulating conditions on the Red Planet, where the pull of gravity is about one-third that of Earth.

China plans to launch a lander and rover to Mars next year to explore parts of the planet in detail.

China’s burgeoning space program achieved a lunar milestone earlier this year by landing a probe on the mysterious far side of the moon.

It has developed rapidly, especially since it conducted its first crewed mission in 2003 and has sought cooperation with space agencies from Europe and elsewhere.

The US, however, has banned most space cooperation with China out of national security concerns, keeping China from participating in the International Space Station.

Despite that, China’s ambitions continue to grow as it seeks to rival the US, Russia and Europe in space and cement its position as a regional and global power.

Guests at Thursday’s event came from 19 countries and included the ambassadors of Brazil, France and Italy.

“This event is the first public appearance of China’s Mars exploration mission, also an important measure for China to pragmatically carry out space international exchanges and cooperation,” the China National Space Administration said in a news release.


At least 7 killed in blast at Pakistan religious school

Updated 27 October 2020

At least 7 killed in blast at Pakistan religious school

  • More than 60 people had been taking a lesson when the explosion tore through the madrassa in Peshawar
  • No group claimed immediate responsibility for the attack

PESHAWAR: At least seven students were killed and scores more wounded Tuesday in a bomb attack on a Qur'an study class at a religious school in northwestern Pakistan, officials said.

More than 60 people had been taking a lesson when the explosion tore through the madrassa in Peshawar, about 170 kilometers west of Islamabad, said Waqar Azim, a senior police official.

“The blast took place in a seminary during a Qur’an class. Someone took a bag inside the seminary,” Azim said.

He added that the person who had brought in the bag left the lecture hall before the blast at the Jamia Zuberia seminary.

Mohammad Ali Gandapur, another senior police official, said at least seven people had been killed with more than 50 wounded.

The death toll was confirmed by Mohammad Asim Khan, a spokesman at a local hospital, who said that seven bodies and 70 wounded people had been taken to the facility.

“Most of those killed and injured were hit by the ball bearings and some were badly burnt,” he said.

All of the dead were men aged between 20 and 40, he said. Teachers and boys as young as 7 were among the wounded.

Teacher Safiullah Khan said more than 1,000 students are currently enrolled at the religious school, which is roughly divided into two sections, with one for students aged 18 and older and the other for children.

“The blast took place in the section where students above the age of 18 were taking a class,” Khan said, adding that the wall between the two sections collapsed in the blast.

A live stream of the lesson showed a religious teacher speaking in Pashto and Arabic, explaining a saying from the Prophet Muhammad, when the explosion took place.

Shortly afterwards, rescue workers and locals were seen scouring the site and collecting students’ books, caps and shoes.

The loud blast, which could be heard across most parts of Peshawar, wrecked the school’s interior and damaged the roof of the main hall.

No group claimed immediate responsibility for the attack, which followed months of relative calm in Pakistan.

Peshawar was once the epicenter of militant violence in the country, with jihadists targeting security forces and public spaces in the city near the northwestern frontier with Afghanistan.

Violence in Pakistan has declined in recent years following a series of military operations along the border, but militant groups are still able to carry out deadly attacks.

In 2014, Pakistan’s army launched a massive offensive to wipe out militant bases in the area and end the near decade-long insurgency that has cost thousands of lives.

The operation was intensified after the Pakistani Taliban killed more than 150 people, the majority of them children, at a school in Peshawar in December 2014.

Still, the Pakistani Taliban have been regrouping in recent months with several factions coming together in a pact, raising fears the jihadists may be regaining strength after launching a string of small-scale attacks on security forces along the border.