Egypt court hands out 6 death sentences on terror charges

The Giza criminal court on Saturday also sentenced eight defendants to life in prison on similar charges that include attacking security forces, and possession of weapons and explosives. (File/AFP)
Updated 12 October 2019

Egypt court hands out 6 death sentences on terror charges

  • The charges stem from an attack in Jan. 2016 on an Egyptian security post outside the Three Pyramids Hotel
  • The attack damaged the hotel’s facade and also a bus parked in front of the building

CAIRO: An Egyptian court has sentenced six people to death on terror-related charges for carrying out a militant attack outside a hotel near the famed Giza Pyramids.

The Giza criminal court on Saturday also sentenced eight defendants to life in prison on similar charges that include attacking security forces, and possession of weapons and explosives.

Another 12 defendants received 10 years in prison. The verdict can be appealed. The charges stem from an attack in Jan. 2016 on an Egyptian security post outside the Three Pyramids Hotel.

No one was hurt in the incident, but the attack damaged the hotel’s facade and also a bus parked in front of the building, which was in use by a group of visiting Arab Israelis.


Kuwait’s emir reappoints premier, removes defense and interior ministers

Updated 18 November 2019

Kuwait’s emir reappoints premier, removes defense and interior ministers

  • Emir Sheikh Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Sabah asked Sheikh Jaber to form a new cabinet, state news agency KUNA said

DUBAI: Kuwait’s ruling emir on Monday reappointed Sheikh Jaber Al-Mubarak Al-Sabah as prime minister but removed the defense and interior ministers, both senior members of the ruling family, from their posts after the government’s resignation last week.

Emir Sheikh Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Sabah asked Sheikh Jaber to form a new cabinet, state news agency KUNA said. Sheikh Jaber last week submitted the government’s resignation when lawmakers sought a no-confidence vote against the interior minister.

KUNA said in a separate statement that the emir ordered the removal of his son, Defense Minister Sheikh Nasser Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Sabah, and Interior Minister Sheikh Sabah Al-Khalid Al-Sabah from their posts in the current caretaker cabinet.